What Are You Listening to?

[1.0x] Discuss or share music, movies, television shows, or videos.
Megan
Ferret Queen
Reactions:

Post by Megan » 3 months ago

“Wax Room Intro” - Gravity Falls -

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 3 months ago

I listened to William Boyce and Johannes Brahms last night. Tonight's composers will be whatever I haven't listened to yet after reading.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Juneberry » 3 months ago

I Built a Friend by Alec Benjamin

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Some of the new Lil Nas X songs. The beats give me some energy to finish up my evening before I put on something more relaxing.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Batushka, a black metal band from Poland that incorporates black metal, doom metal, and Eastern Orthodox chants. The lyrics are written in Old Slavonic, only really used for liturgical purposes. Due to the vague nature of the lyrics' meaning I've seen two opposing sides. The biggest group seems to favor the belief that the band or the character/s the band is representing are being blasphemous and taking God's role by inserting I into where God would usually be in these ancient chants and such. This group also notes the band makes use of upside down Orthodox crosses and icons that lack faces to reinforce their point. The second group believes the lyrics are God himself talking to humanity which is why the use of I comes in. Unfortunately the band is in a legal situation and the singer and guitarist are each operating their own version of the band. The guitarist released his band recently which is a brilliant but flawed album. The singer is about to release his and so far I'm not too impressed by the samples. Here's a song from the first album however which is great. The video as well shows the aesthetic the band goes for.

A fun fact for this video though is it makes use of the sacred heart which is a symbol used in Catholicism but not in Eastern Orthodoxy because the Orthodox believe the worship of Jesus's physical heart is heretical. Whether this was an intentional thing by the band or not is hard to say. My theory is the video is meant to be critical of not necessarily Christianity in itself but rather man's hypocrisy of killing Christ and the saints then putting their limbs and such on display in churches for religious veneration.

Megan
Ferret Queen
Reactions:

Post by Megan » 3 months ago

"The End" - The Doors

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

My favorite band these days and what I'm listening to today is Alcest, a French band who were a major part of the creation of the musical genre "blackgaze" which is a fusion of black metal and shoegaze. Alcest in particular I find creates some of the most beautiful music today with this fascinating blend. The lyrics are all about an alternate world the singer Neige believes he visited as a child and has been called things like "Fairy Land" and "Otherworld." The music of Alcest is Neige's attempt to in a sense create an idea of what this world is like to the listener through music. Their last album also included influences from Miyazaki films and I'm rather excited about their new album coming out later this year.

This particular song is one of their easiest to listen to for an outsider since it's all clean singing and lacks the shrieks used in black metal. The video is absolutely gorgeous and definitely worth watching at least once just for the scenery.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Dollhouse by Melanie Martinez

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

For today's episode of sloo rants about music he chooses a relatively famous band, Nine Inch Nails. This particular song is Survivalism off of the slightly flawed at times but still brilliant album Year Zero. If I was going to list things that made me want to become a writer this album would easily be on the list. The reason why is Year Zero is a concept album featuring an alternative universe created by Trent Reznor. The lore to this world is massive so I'll try to explain it very basic. Due to America's interference in world affairs the United States is hit by terrorist attacks and natural disasters that are exploited to allow America to finally become an oppressive, theocratic dictatorship. This new America ends the use of the current calendar and begins America again on "Year Zero" or the year America is "reborn" with it's current government. Religion, corporations, massive military, and government are now all one massive state and the lines between them are long gone. Everything serves to promote the new state. Drugs are put into the water to make the citizens so docile they lose feelings of aggression. On the other hand the military are given pills to make them more aggressive so they'll constantly fight in endless wars overseas. Churches keep the veneer of Christianity but their messages are more about loyalty to the government and even begin forming their own "citizen patrols" to help the police find potential rebels. The police are used to root out any hint of rebellion. The rebels begin to make use of art, graffiti, secret meetings, and IRC/forums to coordinate efforts to attempt to rebel against the state but they fail and most are presumably killed or arrested. Their only hope lies in a new invention, a time traveling device that allows them to send information from their own time back in time through the internet and hope that people in the past see this information and force change before it's too late and change the future. This is also necessary because of "The Presence" and Reznor leaves it vague on whether The Presence is God or aliens or what but regardless they make it clear they are unhappy with humanity and especially the United States and plan to "wipe this slate clean." Of course anyone who attempts to warn Americans about The Presence are quickly removed and the information hidden with the government calling any sightings of The Presence as lies or drug hallucinations.

So mentioning the time traveling device back in the day during this album's promotion Reznor released an "alternate reality game" where fans could piece together the world and lore of Year Zero through secret messages in the album, on artwork, secret irl meetings, concerts, billboards, posters, USBs found in restrooms, Morse code, and other things and these codes would decipher phone numbers and website URLs with information these rebels sent to us in order to read. Some sites are rebel sites, others are government sites, some are forums and fan pages of people involved in various events, and so on. Sadly all of these sites are down now but at the time I had a blast being involved with this and learning about Year Zero's horrifying dystopia. It's easily to me THE coolest album promotion of all time and I think it's very unfortunate we never got the tv show Reznor promoted to a few networks. I just loved the level of depth Reznor put into this and it really brought the songs to life as you listened to the album.

In the video you'll see the symbol of the "US Bureau of Morality" which is perhaps one of the most famous parts of this dystopia. Their job is to enforce the state's values upon the citizens and to take down anyone who disagrees. The video presumably has you in a Bureau station who are spying on citizens. The "Censored For Your Protection" screens are censors due to the uncut video featuring sex scenes to my memory. In fact on the album itself is a phone number and if you call it you end up hearing a pre-recorded message from a representative of the Bureau who says you are to be arrested for ownership of illegal material and to remain still until the police arrive.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

It's All Been Done Before by Ryan Montbleau Band...again, I think.