Book/Author Thread

[1.0x] Discuss or share music, movies, television shows, or videos.
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

Post by slooroo » 3 months ago

It is time for me to bore the entire forum with the greatest thread of all time. A thread dedicated to literature. Talk about what you're currently reading, favorite authors, thoughts on books, and so on. Yes it can include manga and comics since why not? Also Goodreads and other sites used for cataloging what you read.

Currently I'm reading The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea by Yukio Mishima and I'll be done with it Sunday. I'm really enjoying it actually. I already read Confessions of a Mask so I knew what I was getting into with this. Mishima is a legendary writer in Japan although his legacy is controversial and complicated. He was LGBT, far right, a brilliant writer, and attempted a coup that failed and he committed seppuku which was botched and one of his subordinates didn't do a very good job cutting his head off like asked. I guess I'll mention the book in itself more once I finish it. I already plan on reading The Wolf and the Watchman by Niklas Natt och Dag next. My mom bought for it during her business trip to Sweden and her co-workers highly recommended it. It seems to be a historical fiction meets murder mystery I think. It sounds really interesting. So far my reading progress is pretty good. Once I finish Sailor I'll have finished 25 books this year according to Goodreads but two I think I started December of last year or so?

Megan
Ferret Queen
Reactions:

Book/Author Thread

Post by Megan » 3 months ago

Right now I'm reading:

Precious Moments Holy Bible

"The Diary of Anne Frank: The Revised Critical Edition" by Netherlands Institute for War Documentation

And been reading a lot of Chibi Vampire/Karin.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

I read the whole Bible cover to cover. I finished it pretty recently in fact. I have not read Anne Frank yet but in terms of Holocaust literature I really like the graphic novel Maus. It's a really interesting tale of the author's father and the author is really blunt about him and doesn't try to hide his father's flaws.

Megan
Ferret Queen
Reactions:

Book/Author Thread

Post by Megan » 3 months ago

slooroo wrote:
3 months ago
I read the whole Bible cover to cover. I finished it pretty recently in fact. I have not read Anne Frank yet but in terms of Holocaust literature I really like the graphic novel Maus. It's a really interesting tale of the author's father and the author is really blunt about him and doesn't try to hide his father's flaws.
I’ve always found the holocaust interesting. I know it was awful, but books on it always interested me. I’ve always loved Anne Frank. I have multiple versions. The one I’m reading is extra special since it has 3 versions of it inside plus her stories and other info. Another one I love is “The Hiding Place” by Corrie Ten Bloom.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

Post by Juneberry » 3 months ago

How is this a boring topic asks the person who works for a literary magazine sorta? :'D I actually just got a comic book in the mail the other day directly from the author who asked our mag to review it. And I'm the resident comic/manga reviewer. I was so excited I had to read it right when I woke up. I missed physical books so much ;-;

As for other books... I got a free e-book earlier this month due to work too. And last month I won a contest. I've only bought one book recently, which is MasterMinor's. So far his is the only one I'm reading e-book method, but I'm reading it slowly because I can't focus on e-readers. That's just recent books though.

In regards to my favorite books, it's a tie between Magic or Madness by Justine Larbalestier, or Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. The latter is the only/first historical fiction I ever adored in terms of novels. My favorite manga is Alive: The Final Evolution...Or High Rise Invasion, probably. I have a thing for psychological thrillers lately. :'D I was prepared to reread Happy Sugar Life after using a gif of it, but instead I decided to watch the anime with my dad first. I love the animation, but not so much how fast it moved...I'm pretty sure it's being rushed. >w<

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

Megan wrote:
3 months ago
I’ve always found the holocaust interesting. I know it was awful, but books on it always interested me. I’ve always loved Anne Frank. I have multiple versions. The one I’m reading is extra special since it has 3 versions of it inside plus her stories and other info. Another one I love is “The Hiding Place” by Corrie Ten Bloom.
I should probably remedy my lack of having not read Anne Frank. It's not even that long, I just never ran into the chance to read it.
Juneberry wrote:
3 months ago
How is this a boring topic asks the person who works for a literary magazine sorta?
Give me long enough and the world can see that I mostly read classic literature which will put me into a minority with readers. That said working at a literary magazine sounds cool. I'm only familiar with the other side of the fence of hocking my stories.
Juneberry wrote:
3 months ago
In regards to my favorite books, it's a tie between Magic or Madness by Justine Larbalestier, or Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. The latter is the only/first historical fiction I ever adored in terms of novels. My favorite manga is Alive: The Final Evolution...Or High Rise Invasion, probably. I have a thing for psychological thrillers lately. :'D I was prepared to reread Happy Sugar Life after using a gif of it, but instead I decided to watch the anime with my dad first. I love the animation, but not so much how fast it moved...I'm pretty sure it's being rushed. >w<
I recognize Lisa See's name but I haven't read her work. I honestly haven't read that much manga in my life. Mainly because manga is pricey for how quickly I can read it for me.

Spoiler:
And now for slooroo's bad attempt to explain his tastes.

First Book: If not counting children's Golden Books then Harry Potter.

School: Harry Potter, Stephen King, Eragon

High School: Lord of the Rings, Stephen King

College: Lol like I read. Okay lie I did like Oscar Wilde

Now: I really decided a few years back I wanted to read again and I would need to force myself. So I picked up Silas Marner by George Eliot due to it being short and I really found that everything about the work really touched me. Then I think I picked up As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner and the dark comedy set the south really hit home for me since I only live 2 hours away from Oxford where Faulkner lived.

Favorites since getting back into reading (I'm not going to try to review these, just super short thoughts):

Stoner by John Williams which would easily rank as a book that will haunt me for the rest of my life. It's really hard to describe Stoner without it sounding boring but it's really not. It's such a gripping book and I've tried to take lessons.

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse: As someone spiritual but confused as well as someone vaguely familiar with the concepts of Buddhism I really loved how Hesse taught Buddhism through Siddhartha's journey to seek the truth and how every little moment of his life served a role in shaping him.

Confessions of a Mask by Yukio Mishima: I'm not LGBT myself but I don't think you need to be to entirely relate to this work. It's said the work is semi-autobiographical and that would make sense to me. The character lived in the world of conservative post-war Japan and yet knew things about himself was not in line with what is expected of a Japanese man, which makes him need to "wear a mask" to hide it. Really I doubt most people perfectly fit in line with what our society expects of them.

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami: This was my first Murakami and when I first started reading it I was wondering if it was wrong I found it really comfortable imagining the world Murakami depicts despite the dark themes going on with Kafka. He did an amazing job depicting a place I would honestly love to live at. I really wouldn't want to try to explain anything about it in a short blurb though.

No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai: I have depression and feel alienated by society and this book is easily mostly autobiographical for Dazai despite everything told in fiction form. Dazai was clearly a messed up person and it shows in his constant suicide attempts and how several women even joined him in these attempts.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro: There's a lot I could say about this book. I think in a short answer though I think it really made me realize how easy it is for all of us to see injustice and wrong doing everyday and not only do nothing about it but not even think much about it at all. It's just part of life, we accept it, and move on. We don't try to be heroes and we merely work in the system. If you've ever asked yourself things like "Why did Germans not try to resist Hitler" or anything along that line I think this book explains it without explaining it.

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky: I was disturbed how quickly I felt I was relating to Raskolnikov and yet Dostoyevsky really did an amazing job in some regards shaking me of some of my more childish thoughts.

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami: This book is the opposite of Kafka but in a good way. There was also a sad beauty in these wonderful characters all being deeply flawed, some with permanent mental illness.

Sorry if I explained these books poorly but I didn't want this to be TOO long.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

Post by Juneberry » 3 months ago

slooroo wrote:
3 months ago
I recognize Lisa See's name but I haven't read her work.
I know it's out of your repertoire of reading, but it's a very uniquely educational book. It gets kind of graphic with things like foot binding, but I found that kind of amazing, in that the details made me better understand that painful experience women used to go through in China. It also teaches more in depth about the hierarchy in families, that girls actually helped with the field work (a lot of people tend to act like it'd only be men for some reason)... It's just a well written read to me. ^^;
slooroo wrote:
3 months ago
Sorry if I explained these books poorly but I didn't want this to be TOO long.
I thought the explanations were pretty good! I kind of want to read some of them now. I have to work harder on my walking so I can someday walk to the library to read them!

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

Juneberry wrote:
3 months ago
I know it's out of your repertoire of reading
I find China pretty fascinating actually. I knew a bit about foot bindings because out of the billions of things the public education system could've taught me it taught me the details of how that worked.
Juneberry wrote:
3 months ago
I thought the explanations were pretty good! I kind of want to read some of them now. I have to work harder on my walking so I can someday walk to the library to read them!
It's hard to really suggest just one out of them all and if I had time I could write more in-depth thoughts on each one. I know Stoner is in the works to have a movie which I'm a little terrified of because I'm not sure if a movie could really show the emotional depths Williams puts into the book. Never Let Me Go has a movie already out but I haven't seen it yet. Not all of those are classics either. Some of those are pretty newish. Well new to me is 2000s or later. My reading process is usually a mix of between what sounds interesting to me and what has interesting little cult fanbases online. I also try to read things I wouldn't normally read either to expand my horizons a bit. I used to only read fantasy but Oscar Wilde got me into other things.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

Double posting but I finished The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea by Yukio Mishima. This is generally considered the best starting place to read Mishima although it's the second book of his I've read. I loved it although I don't think it's really worth trying to write out the many themes of the work because I'd rather avoid spoilers some.

Deleted User 59
Reactions:

Book/Author Thread

Post by Deleted User 59 » 3 months ago

I want to get back into reading again but don't know what sorta stuff I'd want to read. :3

Probably stuff involving love but I'd rather not have something too NSFW in it like an explicit sex scene, since I'm far more interested in the romantic side of it when it comes to others

Also http://www.gutenberg.org/ exists if anyone wants to know a brilliant source for public domain classics that you can download for nothing. :33