Book/Author Thread

[1.0x] Discuss or share music, movies, television shows, or videos.
Megan
Ferret Queen
Reactions:

Book/Author Thread

Post by Megan » 4 months ago

Well it took me over a year but finally finished re-reading that giant Anne Frank book I was reading. Been re-reading Chibi Vampire as well. Now working on re-reading the Gravity Falls Journal 3.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

Post by slooroo » 4 months ago

Just finished Ruthless by Ron Miscavige and I thought I'd go over some thoughts I had.

1. So there seems to be heavy criticism to Miscavige for saying Scientology has good elements. Personally I find this odd since every former Scientologist will admit to that but say the same thing as Miscavige that you don't NEED the Church of Scientology to receive those benefits.

2. Critics also say he's too soft on Hubbard. I disagree. I think he doesn't try to hide that Hubbard was a bad person but I think he's just noting life in Scientology under Hubbard was nowhere near as bad as life in it under his son's leadership.

That said I do think Ron Miscavige while he does admit to his verbal and physical abuse both he and his ex wife were guilty of to each other I think he does downplay it too much in the impact it possibly had on David Miscavige and how that could play into how David runs Scientology. Overall though it's not a bad book but other than a small look at David Miscavige's life before joining the Sea Org it's mostly information a dedicated Scientology researcher will already know. Definitely don't buy this book brand new, it's way overpriced. I got it at Goodwill for a buck though so I got my money's worth.

So next I'll be reading King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table by Roger Lancelyn Green. I've been wanting to get into Arthurian myth for a long time and I thought this might be a simple method of getting a basic understanding of the stories before trying to read older, more complex works with the myths.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

Post by Juneberry » 4 months ago

I just realized I never mentioned finishing that comic book I was supposed to review, did I? It was a pretty good comic overall, though I had some personal issues with it regarding the timing of things, essentially. But still, The Unicorn and The Fox, written by Nick Bain and illustrated by Nick Acuna, was a pretty good read, and I might read it again in the future when another issue is available to remind myself what happened to guess what's to come.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

I don't read a lot of comics. Partly because I feel I don't get my money's worth compared to the length I spend reading it and partly because I don't feel like driving a distance to pick up new issues.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

I mostly read comics online, but this one was mailed to me directly by the author for review, so... Yay, free book! I don't know if they'll send me future issues to review or not, but I hope so... Because I'm not sure I can afford to buy them afterwards if I'm to review them further.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

I've read comics online before but I find it kind of uncomfortable. Why I prefer physical over ebooks and such. I'll use online occasionally though if I don't have better options. I used a large online collection for esoteric books once because most of the books have been out of print for decades, sometimes even a hundred years or more and the chances of them ever getting a reprint was slim and none.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

I prefer physical books as well- it's hard to concentrate for me with e-books. Though I have like 3-4 I got for work and haven't read because of my distaste for e-books... I should just keep trying.

Megan
Ferret Queen
Reactions:

Book/Author Thread

Post by Megan » 4 months ago

Well finished the regular Gravity Falls Journal 3 and onto the special edition!

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

I finally finished up King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table by Roger Lancelyn Green. It's aimed for kids so the violence is heavily toned down but it's not a bad introduction to the myths and important characters. There's also definitely a deeper spiritual significance to the myths. That said the myths include a lot of things that were anachronistic to the actual time period King Arthur supposedly ruled. This is due to the myths being written hundreds of years later.

Next I'll try Self-Analysis by L Ron Hubbard, a Scientology book that claims to put Hubbard's teachings into simple practice. I thought it'd be fun to try some and see how it works. It'll also give me time to read more Lovecraft so I can push through this massive tome some more.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

Post by slooroo » 3 months ago

For anyone interested the actress Marilyn Monroe was a very active reader and this site notes every book in her collection plus several that's known that she read. Actually I'm pretty impressed by her wide range of tastes.

http://www.openculture.com/2014/10/the- ... brary.html