Pokemon Games

[2.0x] Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Re: Pokemon Games

Post by slooroo » 2 weeks ago

I haven't really decided which one I will get or what starter. I've kinda let myself forget Sword/Shield was coming out so I'd be pretty ignorant about it for the most part.

Spook of the lost
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Spook of the lost » 1 week ago

so I'm a bit out of the loop.

my last major pokemon game was pokemon crystal which came with my Gameboy advanced back in the day.

how many pokemon are there now?

and what is sword/shield?

Ravenfreak
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Ravenfreak » 4 days ago

Oof you haven’t played since Crystal? There are now approximately 888 Pokémon since generation 8 just came out today. Sword and Shield are the newest games. I’m buying them from a friend sometime today! We tried getting the games last night from Best Buy but the clerks refused to sell it to us at 9 pm but they gave out a different game at that time. >_>

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 4 days ago

Bought Sword. I'm liking it so far but I need to get further in to comment more.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 2 days ago

So I've beat the first three gyms so I thought I'd give some initial thoughts.

Pro:

The graphics are gorgeous, the music is good, and unlike past gens I haven't experienced lag.

The story so far is pretty well written with me only noticing one particular point I didn't like so far.

The trainer cards are a cool idea and I like you get brief backstories to all of the characters.

Team Yell is pretty funny so far since they're just soccer hooligans: Pokemon edition

Marine is cute looking and Bede is the first asshole rival we've had in awhile

The Wild Area is cool and I like the raid bosses

Far less handholding and finally the option to skip most tutorials instead of wasting my life having GF force me to learn how to play a game I've been playing since I was a young child.

I feel like this has been one of the stronger gens in terms of interesting new Pokemon

Neutral:

Hop is a serviceable rival I guess but he's basically just Barry from Gen 4 with a better goal.

The game feels easier than Sun/Moon but at the same time it is Pokemon, not SMT so forgivable I guess.

Con:

The first three gyms are too close together. You basically fight all three back to back with little difference in levels between them. Nessa is the most fucked of the three since she's in the middle.

Dynamax is a pretty lackluster feature so far

I HATE forced exp share. I want the option to turn this shit off but you can't. So I end up constantly overleveled compared to the AI

They brought back how wild Pokemon spawns work from Lets Go with stuff appearing on the overworld. The issue with this is have fun sitting there bored for hours while waiting for a 1% chance spawn Pokemon to appear.

The difficulty feels like it's been lowered a bit from Sun/Moon