Grand Strategy Games

[2.0x] Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Grand Strategy Games

Post by slooroo » 5 months ago

Princess MeowsePad wrote:
5 months ago
What's the difference between grand strategy and real time strategy? Are grand strategy games turn based?
Technically grand strategy is a subgenre of the larger RTS genre. The way Paradox fans word it grand strategy focus on the entire world/galaxy during a specific time period and puts a heavier emphasis on managing your dynasty, politics, economy, diplomacy, technological, and so on. Really the difference between the two is very minimal and normally it's considered a fancy way to describe Paradox's unique style of games versus stuff like Total War.

Typically it's not turn based in the sense used for RPGs. It runs off a calendar system at the speed you set it unless you pause. For example in Hearts of Iron at max speed a full 24 hours can be gone through in a minute or less. So you don't wait for the AI to make their turns. They're constantly making decisions while you're also making decisions. So much like real life politics.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 9
Argentina

Grand Strategy Games

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 5 months ago

Oh, that makes sense. That sounds pretty hardcore to me! I can barely handle a regular RTS. xD
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Grand Strategy Games

Princess MeowsePad wrote:
5 months ago
Oh, that makes sense. That sounds pretty hardcore to me! I can barely handle a regular RTS. xD
It's hard at first because the tutorials are really, really bad. So most will end up watching Youtubers and Twitch streamers until they learn enough to play on their own. Once you understand how to play however it can get really addicting.

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Grand Strategy Games

Post by Kaunisto » 5 months ago

That's why I've never really gotten into the genre, I'm a lazy gamer to learn anything complicated.
It's one thing if game has depth the way that you have to learn more and more as you go, but if the first step getting in is too big, I tend to lack patience.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Grand Strategy Games

Kaunisto wrote:
5 months ago
That's why I've never really gotten into the genre, I'm a lazy gamer to learn anything complicated.
It's one thing if game has depth the way that you have to learn more and more as you go, but if the first step getting in is too big, I tend to lack patience.
Really the difficulty mostly lies in understanding what each little button and function does and why that's important. Once you understand that is when you have to learn the math related to combat and such.

Spook of the lost
Reactions:
Mood:

Re: Grand Strategy Games

Post by Spook of the lost » 2 weeks ago

I like Stellaris, I think that's the only real Grand strategy game I've played, unless master of orion counts of course.

it's nice because of the scale, it really makes you feel like you're playing in a galaxy sized universe with thousands of star systems where anything could happen.

I'm also a huge fan of the star trek stellaris full conversion, I frequently play the borg :P those guys are awesome!
Last edited by Spook of the lost 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 1 week ago

So I've been trying the Third Odyssey mod for EU4. The mod has three potential campaigns, all of them alternative history. The first is called Elysia which I am playing right now. It's where the Byzantine Empire, seeing that losing to the Ottomans is inevitable, secretly leaves Europe entirely and takes a risk in settling the New World, landing in the Washington DC area roughly and turning it into Neo Constantinople. If you decide your goal is to expand this exiled empire in America and possibly look towards re-conquering the City of the World's Desire again one day. Elysia also has the option to restore Greek paganism or continue Christianity. I chose restore paganism for pure meme.

The second campaign is Vinland where the descendants of Ragnar Lodbrok and Leif Erikson decide to put all of their resources into the New World to create a new nation. Vinland is of course set where it was irl and still follows the Norse Pagan faith.

The third is Spartania which you can only play if you choose Elysia and wait for certain events. In this path one of the members of the Byzantine royal family decides to leave Elysia and changes his name to Leonidas I and decides he wishes to restore Sparta in essentially Mexico. In this path you focus on conquering the Aztecs, Mayans, etc and when these Neo-Spartans learn of the ancient faiths of these peoples they essentially create a brand new religion called Atzlan. In Atzlan they teach that Leonidas I was horrified at the coming apocalypse of the world as prophesied by the natives and single handedly stopped it and killed the sun god and Leonidas takes on the mantle of the new sun god, turning the native peoples and the Greeks that followed him into worshipers of him. Really weird path and I want to try it once my Elysia campaign is done.

This mod is really cool and it's insanely fleshed out with lots of special events and things to do. Obviously the Byzantines or Norse doing this is impossible historically but it's a really fun what if scenario. Also it's called Third Odyssey because in the mod's lore the Byzantine Emperor decides to re-read Homer and Virgil in the face of despair of the coming Ottomans. He dubs the first Odyssey as Odysseus's journey from the war of Troy trying to find his way back home. The second Odyssey is Aeneas and him leaving Troy to reach the new home promised to him by the gods. So the Byzantine Emperor dubs his plan "The Third Odyssey" to save himself and as many as he can to find a new home and maybe if they are fortunate to return again as liberators.

Spook of the lost
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Spook of the lost » 1 week ago

ooh vinland, isn't that up in newfoundland above mane?

the saga of leif ericson, son of eric the red, is one of my favorite norse sagas.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 6 days ago

Spook of the lost wrote:
1 week ago
ooh vinland, isn't that up in newfoundland above mane?

the saga of leif ericson, son of eric the red, is one of my favorite norse sagas.
The historic Vinland was roughly Newfoundland and bits of Quebec. It was never heavily populated or anything which is why it went poof. There's really only one settlement that's actually been discovered so far. I can see why it's ripe for alt history what ifs though. A successful Vinland could've easily been one of the strongest Scandinavian countries today.