Ravenfreak's Thoughts on the Final Fantasy series!

[2.0x] Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
Ravenfreak
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Ravenfreak » 1 month ago

I've started playing Final Fantasy V again, and this time I've made it farther than I did the first time I played. Honestly I'm loving the job system, and I have a feeling this might slowly become one of my top favorites in the series. However, as I'm still at the beginning of the game I can't necessarily post my full thoughts on the game just yet, but I will say this. I'm greatly enjoying my time playing this game and every time I take a break from playing I want to go back to playing it as soon as I can.

Yumika
Cutie
Reactions:

Post by Yumika » 1 month ago

I played all the pre-2000 games, so I can say for sure what my thoughts are on favorites and least favorites.

My favorite is definitely Final Fantasy Tactics. It took the amazing Job system of Final Fantasy V and the epic storytelling of Final Fantasy VI, and the result was an incredible TRPG with lots of twists and turns in gameplay and cutscenes. The music is also phenomenal in its own right. I can't tell you how many hours of my life were wasted on this game alone. If you ask me, this deserved more recognition, since it has more depth than the usual Final Fantasy game. Lots of strategy involved, rather than just button mashing, which is a huge plus. I love Ramza Beoulve as a lead character. He's got the willpower and determination of a freedom fighter. Granted, some parts of the game are a bit sketchy, but I never had a problem with the pacing. Besides, you can even play as Cloud Strife as a secret character!

My least favorite is Final Fantasy VIII, but that's no surprise. The Junction system is very confusing, because the elimination of MP means that spells are more like "inventory", so if you keep casting Firaga or Quake on enemies, your statistics go down (if you equipped any of them onto your statistics). You could always just use the Draw command, but what's the point? It's a stupid concept. Even the GFs (Guardian Forces) don't offer much in terms of customizing your party. You learn some interesting commands from them, but I didn't feel that it changed the way I see the Junction system. The story is also pretty terrible. Things got even MORE confusing with the "time compression" bullshit. I'm not going any further than that, since I don't want to spoil the game. Just get to that point in the game, and you'll see.

Other favorites include Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy III (I prefer the Famicom version), and Final Fantasy IX. I still like Final Fantasy VII, but must admit that the game aged really badly. It still has its nostalgic charms, taking into account that it was 1997 when the game first came out, so I could understand technical limitations. I remember when this game all the rage. People would build Web sites around their favorite characters! Sephiroth, blah... XD

Ravenfreak
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Ravenfreak » 3 weeks ago

I've made it to Galuf's World and all the way to Drakenvale without the use of a walkthrough, but I was stuck there and resorted to looking up a video walkthrough. >_> I was hoping to make it through the entire game without a walkthrough, ah well. I missed the blood sword in the Barrier Tower, but screw the Yellow and Red Dragons! Dx They KO'd my party, though it seems my character's accuracy hasn't been the best. :\ Apotos was a huge pain in the butt too btw, but I managed to defeat him. My party is as follows: Bartz Level 31, Level 4 Samurai, Lenna Level 31, Level 3 Red Mage, Galuf Level 31, Level 2 Bard, and Sarisa (Faris) Level 31, Level 2 Dragoon. I already got spoiled with one bit of the storyline by watching Uncanny X's "Final Fantasy songs that sound like X" video on Youtube. :x Hopefully I don't get spoiled anymore though. I'm still enjoying V though!

Ravenfreak
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Ravenfreak » 5 days ago

I have finally completed Final Fantasy V! Since It's finished, I can finally write a review on the game. First off, I'll tell you a bit of a story about this title. I got Anthology when I was either 16 or 17, and that game has Final Fantasy V and VI. This was my introduction to the series, and I tried playing V back then but I stopped playing for the dumbest reason. The reason why I stopped playing it was because I couldn't name my other characters, just Bartz! :thinking: That's a pretty lame reason for me to stop playing, and honestly I regret not playing through this earlier. I can say out of the titles I've played, V is my personal favorite! VI used to be my all time favorite, because it was the first game in the series I took the time to play for a while. Anyways let's get on with why it's my favorite in the series. There are two specific factors that makes this title my favorite out of the FF games I've played. The soundtrack and the awesome Job System! It's similar to III's, from what I can tell so maybe once I make it past the part I'm stuck at in III I can appreciate the game more. Anyways the other reason is the awesome soundtrack! The one track that stood out to me the most was the Submarine Theme, or you might know it by it's official name "Beyond the Deep Blue Sea." Water themes definitely capture the essence of being in water, but this track seems to do such a great job! It gave me a nostalgic feeling, yet this was my first time fully playing the game! The characters are great too, especially Faris. The fact that you think she's a man during the beginning of the game, and then you realize that she isn't catches the player off guard! Plus, all but one of her job classes represent her as male, and I think that's a great little detail that was added. I kind of wish she went along as being male a bit longer honestly. The game was also very challenging, and specifically the first battle that gave me issues was the fight against the crystals. That's when I needed to grind a bit more to make it past the battle. I've had issues with other battles too, but I eventually beat them. We got Mystic Quest here in the US instead of this title back in 1992 because Square thought it was too challenging btw, so they wanted to make a easier RPG for us. :V Anyways, if you haven't played FFV yet, give it a chance! It's severely underrated! I give it a 8.5 out of 10.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 3 days ago

When you get to FF8 are you going to use the remaster? I saw where Square fixed that infamous scene with Squall's face in it.

Ravenfreak
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Ravenfreak » 3 days ago

slooroo wrote:
3 days ago
When you get to FF8 are you going to use the remaster? I saw where Square fixed that infamous scene with Squall's face in it.
I might, but I own a physical copy. Though that didn't stop be from buying VII on PSN, despite owning a physical copy. Honestly I now want to play the original to see his face. :lmao:

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 3 days ago

Ravenfreak wrote:
3 days ago
I might, but I own a physical copy. Though that didn't stop be from buying VII on PSN, despite owning a physical copy. Honestly I now want to play the original to see his face.
Oh there's definitely scenes where Squall's face is hilarious. The infamous one is where he meets Rinoa for the first time at the dance but there's others. I missed it the first time or just forgot because personally I was laughing too hard about Quistis basically throwing herself all over Squall and he's just totally deadpan about it.