Trends in Games

[2.0x] Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
Juneberry
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Trends in Games

Post by Juneberry » 1 month ago

So has anyone else ever noticed/been irked by trends in games? I mean things like every game you see (whether exclusive to a specific system or not) is a cookie cutter of all the ones around it when you're trying to find a new game to play?

I ask these questions because... All the games I see in Google Play Store are match 3 games. I literally had ten in a row recommended to me. Why do you think such trends exist? I feel like it can't fully help any company to just do the same as the others...

What are some trends you've seen? And any that annoyed you, or made you happy? Seriously, I need to know if this is just me or not.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 8
Argentina

Trends in Games

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 1 month ago

I have been saying for years that as gaming has become more corporate, everyone has been jumping on the "cookie cutter"/"flavor of the month" bandwagon. Look at MMORPGs. Over ninety percent of MMORPGs released in the last two decades have been EverQuest clones because corporations saw the commercial success that EverQuest experienced even before online gaming went more mainstream. The commercial success that EverQuest experienced was obviously exceeded tenfold and then some by World of Warcraft five years later, but the fact remains that EverQuest created the mold from which almost all of the MMORPGs since were cut. The same thing exists in the FPS world with Call of Duty and games like that. Innovation virtually only exists in indie games because the corporations do not want to take risks and know that people will pay $60 for the same damn game over and over again as long as they can roflstomp n00bs.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

Juneberry
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Trends in Games

If you think MMOs are bad with this issue on the computer, don't even think about trying ones on mobile. Half of them don't actually let you do anything. It auto runs and attacks whatever you need and is almost the same as an idle game honestly. And a lot of the games that are adventure but aren't necessarily MMOs use similar card or puzzle systems to fight. (And by puzzles, you guessed it, MATCH 3 >w<)

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

Trends in Games

Seems about right. Mobile games are the worst for making games that will extract the most money from consumers even if they're not fun or innovative at all.

Juneberry
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Trends in Games

I find some of them fun, but the fun only lasts so long for me. I haven't touched so many of my mobile games in forever. But, I have some I neeeeed. Literally I cannot tell you how much I love Tetrocrate when no other games work/I need a puzzle. But even it isn't actually all that innovative.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

Trends in Games

I get it. You find a few that are cute or quirky enough to be fun, at least for a while. For the most part, though, games just aren't what they used to be.

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Trends in Games

Post by Kaunisto » 1 month ago

There is one positive thing about this. When you have an established genre with standards on how it works (FPS, RTS, JRPG...) it's easy to get into a new game. Personally, decade by decade I'm having less patience to learn something completely different from anything I've played before.
But games sticking to their genre need to have some twist. Unless the story is really exceptionally good, but that still happens hardly ever. A good example is Pokemon (originally): there's many basic concepts of basic JRPG there, but couple big ideas made it very fresh.

I think many of very best games are ones that are easy to get started due familiar genre structure, but have some original feature.

That said, I also do hate games being totally generic.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

Trends in Games

You're not wrong, Kaunisto. However, I think there was a certain thrill to learning new games that is sort of lost now as all games fit into the same sort of mold.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Trends in Games

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

In terms of trends I hate I mentioned it in another thread but games that are intentionally bad and the devs made it bad on purpose hoping to capitalize on meme potential or that some streamer's fanbase will buy it because their hero played it. It's why I fully believe Bubsy has been revived when perfectly wonderful franchises are still dead.