Star Wars games

[2.0x] Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Star Wars games

Post by slooroo » 3 months ago

So to what might be a massive surprise to everyone the very obscure franchise of Star Wars has many games! I haven't played all of them but I've played many. One of my funnier memories is I went to the video store wanting to rent the first Star Wars: Battlefront game. Somehow I ended up with KOTOR 1 instead. It was a happy mistake though since it made me absolutely love KOTOR 1 then KOTOR 2 was even better. I did finally rent Battlefront 1 though and loved it and bought Battlefront 2 and it's still one of those games I can play by myself for hours.

Megan
Ferret Queen
Reactions:

Star Wars games

Post by Megan » 3 months ago

slooroo wrote:
3 months ago
So to what might be a massive surprise to everyone the very obscure franchise of Star Wars has many games! I haven't played all of them but I've played many. One of my funnier memories is I went to the video store wanting to rent the first Star Wars: Battlefront game. Somehow I ended up with KOTOR 1 instead. It was a happy mistake though since it made me absolutely love KOTOR 1 then KOTOR 2 was even better. I did finally rent Battlefront 1 though and loved it and bought Battlefront 2 and it's still one of those games I can play by myself for hours.
My brother ADORED KOTOR. It was probably one of his top favorite games. I’m not a huge Star Wars person so didn’t play.

Honestly only one I recall is one of those ones you plugged into the tv. It had s lightsaber for the controller and you literally swung it around. It was freaking awesome.

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Star Wars games

Post by Kaunisto » 3 months ago

Where to begin...

Since you mentioned KOTOR and Battlefront: 2015 I bought SW "Best of PC" collection that had both, as wells as Empire at War, Republic Commando and Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. I mainly bought it for JK2 (having earlier played Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight) and KOTOR.
At the time I didn't know Battlefront (or Battlefield games) at all. It was huge positive surprise, I've enjoyed it very much and there are very few games to which I've downloaded as many user-made levels/maps. The almost only PC game available at local library happened to be Battlefront II - no more about that... except that I hated the single-player campaign.
Empire at War I still haven't gotten into.
Republic Commando was OK game, kind of light version of tactical shooters (a subgenre I've barely played at all).
Jedi Knight II was overall about as good as first, more familiar SW stuff but the first may have better gameplay.
I have to say I didn't like KOTOR. Similarly to Baldur's Gates, it's one of those games that are always in "best ever" lists, but were big disappointments for me. OK, I don't much like western RPG in general, but for example Fallout 1&2 I could understand why it's praised even if I don't enjoy it. KOTOR seemed to me very generic, that you could've just changed names and graphics and called Force magic and nobody would've known it was made as SW.
Still, that didn't stop me from buying KOTOR 2 just few months ago.

Let's move a bit further in time. I've got Collector's CD versions of both X-Wing (overrated game - says a Wing Commander fanboy) and TIE Fighter (much improved, that you can enjoy now and then) and Rebel Assault 1 (horrible game, but hey, it's Star Wars).

Another SW game I have is Episode I Racer on PC. I've also played Game Boy version on emulator and that may be better of the two. The gameplay/driving is OK (actually great in GB), but the racing system sucks, especially rubberband AI. For example there's a bit with a high road from which you can't fall on lower. They're in fact exactly as long. But if you enter this bit leading and stay on the high road, even driving considerably slower than you could, nobody will pass; if you fall down, then race faster than any opponent should be able to (we know this because they use same vehicles as player), at the end of the roads 3-4 opponents are ahead of you.
And yet, it's probably more enjoyable than watching the race in the movie.

Also on Game Boy emulator I've played Episode I: Obi-Wan's Adventures (so long ago I barely remember the game).

Then there's the LEGO games. (I've been considering making a topic of LEGO games, but never got to it.) I played first LEGO SW 1&2 on GBA emulator, then got 2&3 on PC. The GBA games were better, PC 2 okay, but PC 3 (Clone Wars) not that good. I recently got (with cousin's old PS2) LSW2 for PS2, but it's bit scratched and won't run. PC drive reads it so I can eventually play it on emulator, but I'm not sure if there's any difference to the PC version.

I had kind of forgotten I have SW: Rogue Squadron 3D somewhere, somebody gave it to me long ago, but I had trouble running it and I'm not sure if I've tried on my last couple PCs...

I saved the best for last. The best Star Wars game ever:

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Star Wars games

Megan wrote:
3 months ago
Honestly only one I recall is one of those ones you plugged into the tv. It had s lightsaber for the controller and you literally swung it around. It was freaking awesome.
I'd probably break my tv.
Kaunisto wrote:
3 months ago
At the time I didn't know Battlefront (or Battlefield games) at all. It was huge positive surprise, I've enjoyed it very much and there are very few games to which I've downloaded as many user-made levels/maps. The almost only PC game available at local library happened to be Battlefront II - no more about that... except that I hated the single-player campaign.
I haven't tried the newer EA reboots of the franchise. Maybe they're good but I tend not to give EA my money any more than I have to.
Kaunisto wrote:
3 months ago
Empire at War I still haven't gotten into.
I'd probably like it but haven't tried it.
Kaunisto wrote:
3 months ago
Republic Commando was OK game, kind of light version of tactical shooters (a subgenre I've barely played at all).
I love Republic Commando despite flaws. I really think a proper sequel could've fleshed out the ideas the game had but at this point if a sequel does happen I'd be skeptical of it trying to be remotely faithful to the original.
Kaunisto wrote:
3 months ago
Jedi Knight II
I liked Jedi Knight II even if it is really wonky.
Kaunisto wrote:
3 months ago
KOTOR
I think what makes KOTOR appealing for me is KOTOR 1 does a really good job allowing you to feel like you're playing a Star Wars movie but also telling a much different story than the movies. KOTOR 2 on the other hand is amazing at deconstructing the franchise and through Kreia showing the flaws the light/dark system has.

I have a bit less experience on other Star Wars titles besides the really, really awful fighting game. I only own it because it was like a quarter at a resell shop and I bought it for the novelty.

Megan
Ferret Queen
Reactions:

Star Wars games

Surprisingly I never did. I think I did almost knock my mom’s lamp over a few times playing Zelda: Skyward Sword though.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Star Wars games

That's why when I use my Wii I'm just sitting

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Star Wars games

Post by Kaunisto » 3 months ago

slooroo wrote:
3 months ago
I have a bit less experience on other Star Wars titles besides the really, really awful fighting game. I only own it because it was like a quarter at a resell shop and I bought it for the novelty.
Masters of Teräs Käsi, I assume. In case someone didn't know by now, "Teräs Käsi" is Finnish for "steel hand" (though in Finnish it should be one word).

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Star Wars games

Kaunisto wrote:
3 months ago
Masters of Teräs Käsi, I assume. In case someone didn't know by now, "Teräs Käsi" is Finnish for "steel hand" (though in Finnish it should be one word).
Yep that's it. I felt ripped off in a way buying that game as cheap as I did. I can only imagine the feelings someone had buying it brand new at the time of release.

Megan
Ferret Queen
Reactions:

Star Wars games

slooroo wrote:
3 months ago
That's why when I use my Wii I'm just sitting
Actually I was probably sitting since lamp is on table next to couch.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Star Wars games

Megan wrote:
3 months ago
Actually I was probably sitting since lamp is on table next to couch.
Absolute talent