Doom & Quake

[2.0x] Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Doom & Quake

Post by slooroo » 2 months ago

So when I want to blow off steam one of my favorite things to do is play Doom or Quake just because I love being able to blitz through levels while shooting up as much as I can. I also really like watching people play Doom WADs but I'm too lazy to do it myself. I know Romero also still makes new levels for Doom as well. I haven't tried the newer games though admittedly. I can't say how faithful Bethesda is being to the franchises.

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Doom & Quake

Post by Kaunisto » 2 months ago

I rather missed the originals back in 90's because my first PC just barely couldn't run Doom.
And I had played Wolfenstein 3D so much that I was bored with the whole FPS genre for a decade.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Doom & Quake

Kaunisto wrote:
2 months ago
And I had played Wolfenstein 3D so much that I was bored with the whole FPS genre for a decade.
I oddly haven't played Wolfenstein to my memory. I know I would like it. I need to buy it sometime. I got Doom, Duke Nukem, and Quake with Quake being my favorite because it's Lovecraft in space.

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Doom & Quake

I played Duke Nukem at some later point. And Unreal, just couple years back played Unreal 2 too.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Doom & Quake

When I was a kid I wanted Unreal so bad but my computer sucked and my mom was a believer "Dat dem dern video games give us viruses"

Ravenfreak
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Doom & Quake

Post by Ravenfreak » 2 months ago

I unfortunately started with Doom on the 32X. Still miles better than the SNES version or the 3DO version, but still far from the PC version. I got Doom 1 and 2 on Xbox Live back in 2012 and I've played through both games. I loved both of them, heck I even played Doom 2 all day once back in '12 when my girlfriend was at work and I had the day off. I now own Doom 3 BFG edition, but I haven't played it yet. (I have played a bit of the original when I was 20 but couldn't get into it back then. I'm going to give it another go sometime.) I've never played Quake, but I didn't have a PC to play it. I love Wolfenstein 3D as well, I just need one more achievement for that game.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Doom & Quake

Ravenfreak wrote:
2 months ago
I just need one more achievement for that game.
Surely that isn't the Steam copy is it?

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Doom & Quake

Ravenfreak wrote:
2 months ago
I unfortunately started with Doom on the 32X.
I don't think I've ever encountered anyone saying they actually had 32X :O

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Doom & Quake

Kaunisto wrote:
2 months ago
32X
I want to buy one for novelty sake but the last one I saw was at a flea market and the guy had an insane mark up on the price

Ravenfreak
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Doom & Quake

Post by Ravenfreak » 2 months ago

I got mine for $20 at a local game store. The one I first bought didn’t work, so I had to bring it back. Btw the 32X version is broken, the ending is a DOS prompt. :lmao: And don’t get me started on the music, the composer who worked on the 32X soundtrack didn’t know how to compose music on the console, the Genesis mixed with the extra PWM of the add on can sound amazing.