Doom & Quake

[2.0x] Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 9
Argentina

Doom & Quake

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 2 months ago

Doom and Quake sort of created the molds for single-player and multiplayer first person shooters, respectively. It seems like most shooters that are released sort of follow their model.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Doom & Quake

Post by slooroo » 2 months ago

Princess MeowsePad wrote:
2 months ago
Doom and Quake sort of created the molds for single-player and multiplayer first person shooters, respectively. It seems like most shooters that are released sort of follow their model.
Oh Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, and Wolfenstein definitely created the model pretty much all FPS follow. Of course later titles like Halo influenced the genre too and Call of Duty.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

Doom & Quake

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 1 month ago

Call of Duty, I would argue, is more of a cookie-cutter game than anything. It kind of did the same thing that World of Warcraft did in the MMORPG genre. They took ideas from other games, put them together and made them more accessible to people who aren't serious gamers, and did a massive marketing campaign to appeal to casual gamers who never really would have played online games otherwise. They're not innovative or quality by any stretch of the imagination, but they are successful because they managed to draw people who weren't really interested in gaming before.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Doom & Quake

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

1 month ago
Call of Duty, I would argue, is more of a cookie-cutter game than anything.
Perhaps but I would still call it an influential title to the genre. It played a major role in making WW2 shooters popular awhile then made modern day shooters popular awhile.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

Doom & Quake

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 1 month ago

slooroo wrote:
1 month ago
1 month ago
Call of Duty, I would argue, is more of a cookie-cutter game than anything.
Perhaps but I would still call it an influential title to the genre. It played a major role in making WW2 shooters popular awhile then made modern day shooters popular awhile.
Yes, I'd say it was influential. I'd also say that it is part of the reason that there is very little innovation and creativity in the FPS genre now. Everyone saw how much Call of Duty blew up and wants to replicate it.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Doom & Quake

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

1 month ago
Yes, I'd say it was influential. I'd also say that it is part of the reason that there is very little innovation and creativity in the FPS genre now. Everyone saw how much Call of Duty blew up and wants to replicate it.
I think there's been some FPS titles that have tried to do something a little different but just couldn't beat out the hype Call of Duty had. In recent years alone I know Titanfall tried to mix in the use of mechs with FPS combat. Bethesda emphasized the blood, gore, and hyper violence for the newer Doom releases which went over well. Running With Scissors came out of nowhere with DLC for Postal 2 which was super fun.