Old Java Phone Games

[2.0x] Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
Ravenfreak
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Old Java Phone Games

Post by Ravenfreak » 2 months ago

Recently I came across someone on Facebook who still has a few old Gameloft Sonic java phone games from the late 00's/early 10's and it got me thinking about the other Java games on old cellphones. Did you play any old java games back in the day? I know there's a Dirge of Cerberus game as well since it's advertised on the back of the PS2 version's manual. I can imagine these games weren't that fun, but meh I haven't played them.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Old Java Phone Games

Post by Juneberry » 2 months ago

I don't recall ever having a phone that worked with Java. I know my dad's old phone had games like battleship, though?

Ravenfreak
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Old Java Phone Games

Post by Ravenfreak » 2 months ago

Battleship could have been written in Java. I wonder if that was the main programming language used when making mobile games back in the day. There’s a emulator that works well for old phone games called KEmulator Lite. So if there’s any old games that you used to play you can do so without needing a old phone. :)

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Old Java Phone Games

Post by Juneberry » 2 months ago

I just don't know how to know if a game was written in java. I bet there was tetris though. And I love tetris.

Deleted User 142
Reactions:

Old Java Phone Games

Post by Deleted User 142 » 2 months ago

Most games designed for feature phones (made before around 2006/2007) were written in a variant of Java known as J2ME (which powered also in for a lot of embedded devices at the time).

Unfortunately it’s somewhat difficult to find those sites to get these little games (without trawling through Indian/Russian ad-filled hell and occasionally tampered up files) but there were some good (and a lot of bad).

Amusingly the Sonic 1 J2ME mobile port’s audio files are the basis for the music from Sonic Genesis on the GBA, which were in turn based on the demo versions @Ravenfreak as is quite obvious when listening to Labyrinth Zone’s music especially.

I even found a relatively decent J2ME emulator on the PSP of all things. ^^