Best Arcanum Version - Installation Order Conversation

[2.0x] Discuss anything related to Arcanum that does not quite fit into any other category.
Modmyth
Reactions:
Mood:
El Salvador

Post by Modmyth » 3 months ago

Hello,

This is Modmyth, I'm new here. And I hope I am placing this topic in the right place, if not- please direct me to the right area. Thank you.

I am trying to make an install order list to include the elements that would constitute the most complete and recovered version of Arcanum, using what is available out there in different webpages, and forums. Short of the Multiverse repack, which with I have no issues. What I am asking for is feedback, help, and/or for someone else to try this set up along with me. I have tried it, and it seems to be working fine. But another set of eyes would be appreciated. And please forgive the wall of text.

I am modifying/revising Drog Black Tooth's Installation Guide (please note that quite a bit of the following text is his, not mine - I do not claim that the following is entirely original):

1. Install the game. I use the original discs. (I understand that GOG and Steam have versions that come patched with the official 1.0.7.4. patch and the NoCD Crack.Please revise this list accordingly if that applies to you).

2. Install the Official 1.0.7.4. patch. (As mentioned above digital release owners can skip this step, as GOG/Steam versions already come pre-patched to 1.0.7.4.).

3. If you want to play the Modules (official or fan made) this is where you may want to stop. At least until you download all of the ones you want and play them to your heart's content. The NoCD Crack may be nice if you began this with the original discs, so that you don't have to perpetually whip them out. Note: The UAP091225 is not compatible with all modules, and I do not know which ones work with it - if any. If you want to go on to play the main Arcanum game, then proceed.

4. Install the Unofficial Patch (Drog's UAP091225).

5. Extra Animations: Drog was going to make an update on his UAP, which I understand would have updated this material. But he either is still working on it, or is no longer doing so, or is not going to release it. I don't know. This is my attempt to put together a strategy to get the most out of the Extra Animations.

First, install Drog's Extra Animations Pack: (ExtraAnimationsUAP). Drog Black Tooth made this patch based on recovered information shared by Crypton, who in turn received access to an earlier Beta version of the game. You can read the Readme document in the ExtraAnimationsUAP.

Second, apply Muro & LionXavier's fix for ambient sounds for the Extra Animations Pack. Inside the arcanumbeta-v0-1 zip you can find a bunch of stuff. You need to extract just one thing, the ArcanumBeta2.dat file. Just paste the ArcanumBeta2.dat in the Arcanum root directory. Example: C:\Sierra\Arcanum. This will provide you with the ambient sounds for the extra animations. Note: In the forums of House of Lords Muro mentioned being able to enjoy the ambient sounds, LionXavier suggested how it was achieved, and Muro concurred.

Third, apply dukfinx's fix for Critter animations. This will fix a problem with animations of small characters and their armors for the Extra Animations Pack. First start a new game and save it so that Arcanum can create a ‘data\art’ file. You may need a program that unzips files. Extract and then copy the critter folder to C:\Sierra\Arcanum\data\art. Important: You may need to delete the missing.dat file that is in C:\Sierra\Arcanum\data\art folder so that the game can recheck the data. You can delete it and the game will recreate it. Note: In House of Lords dukfinx suggested how to do this, and Muro checked that it worked.

6. Install Drog's HQ Townmaps.

7. Install Drog's HQ Music pack - Lossless.

For the Arcanum_OST_Lossless.exe - First execute Arcanum_OST_Lossless.exe and extract it to your
C:\Sierra\Arcanum\modules\Arcanum\sound\waves (Important: You will have to create a ‘waves’ folder).

Then extract HQ_Music_WAV.zip into your root Arcanum folder. NOT in the module, but just in the regular main directory.

Last run RenameWAVs.bat this will rename the files.

8. Skip this step if you are fine with just reaching level 50 and only having a total of 64 character points by the endgame. Otherwise:

Install the Universal Level Cap Remover v0.0.2 by Alqualos and edited by MeowsePad. Make sure to move the xp_level.mes file to \data\rules\, create the folder if it doesn't exist. Note: Drog recommends the original Universal Level Cap Remover v0.0.1, but I think that the v0.0.2 is superior, and my tests with this list show that it works with this configuration. As an aside, I did input 127 as my end level, but the game only got me to 126. I am sure I either did something wrong or misunderstood something. Nonetheless, you get a much higher level, and more character points.

9. Finally, install the High Resolution Patch 1.5. It goes the last, because it makes extensive changes to Arcanum.exe and has a system of backing up and restoring it. I am still playing with this to get my best resolution.

10. Optionally, you can also install the No Noise/Elemental Silence, and

11. The Extended Pyro Bow GFX.

So as to improve some sound and graphic issues. Simply place the .dat files in the root directory.

Drog's Note about Windows 8/10: Windows 8/10 users should either enable the DirectDraw wrapper in the High Resolution Patch's configuration file by setting DDrawWrapper to 1, or download the standalone wrapper (simply put the ddraw.dll into the same folder as Arcanum.exe, overwriting an existing copy if necessary).

And that is about it. I used the Virgil Debug Menu to test this installation order, and it seems to work fine. Please let me know what you think or find out. Unless you are just going to tell me to go play the Arcanum Multiverse Edition. No problems with it, and I plan on playing it. But I wanted to try the above out first

Thanks for your time,

Modmyth
Last edited by Modmyth 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 9
Argentina

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 3 months ago

I am going to move this to Arcanum Tutorials.

This is a good list. :) Drog Black Tooth gets very upset with the Arcanum community very easily, so it's hard to say if his UAP will ever get another update. We can hope! I've always found the WINE DLLs that I include with the Essentials Pack to be more effective than the DDraw Compat Wrapper. Even with the compat wrapper enabled, I had issues with the game on Windows 10. The WINE DLLs seemed to fix it.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

Modmyth
Reactions:
Mood:
El Salvador

Thanks for the reply.

And thanks for moving the list. I was not sure where to place it.

My computer is old. I use Windows 7 Pro. I really do not know much about WINE DLL or DDraw Compat Wrapper. I am sure that eventually I will have to learn, once I get a new machine.

In the Terra Arcanum Forums I go by Don Santiago de Quixos, and I have had a few interactions with Drog. And they have not always been warm. I just don't know computer stuff very much. Hence my desire to make this list, and keep it updated. For folks like me.

I just became aware of someone called t-roll in the Terra Arcanum forums, and s/he has created materials to also try to bring the game some more balance. I am looking at the stuff that they developed now. This may yield an addendum to the list.

I will look for my list in tutorials and also reply there as well.

Thank you,

Modmyth

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

Yeah, the game had far fewer issues on Windows 7 compared to Windows 10. The WINE DLLs are still quite beneficial to have, though.

Modmyth
Reactions:
Mood:
El Salvador

Hi,

I'll make a note of it. I go through cycles of playing the game. Almost every 3 years or so. I am sure that in 3 years I will be updating this list with more stuff that has been developed.

Thanks for the info, and I have been seeing more about WINE DLLs in Steam and Gog.

I'm trying to discuss some additional stuff with someone called t-roll, at least in the House of Lords forums, via e-mails. mainly to see if his mods or patches actually bring something back to the game that was maybe cut out before the release.

I'll keep you posted. It's funny to say posted when communicating via this medium.

Once again, thanks for the willingness to discuss. I've been at this about a month in different places, and only a few people have bothered to reply. I'm sad to say that Discord was not a very helpful platform (is that what that is?). Once I've ironed out the list more, I will try to share it where Arcanum fans dwell.

Paz,

Modmyth

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

No problem. I wish you luck on your journey, and I am sorry that few people have taken the time to reply. It's possible that the dedicated Arcanum community is dwindling after nearly two decades of being relatively strong.

Modmyth
Reactions:
Mood:
El Salvador

No worries. I'm a die hard. I think Drog will return. People like him, Crypton, etc. will always remain close to Arcanum. and there are people discovering this game all the time.

Hopefully one of these days I will get good enough at using Filthy Jack's Factory so that i can make my own mods. it would be nice to just make a small patch for the extra animations ambient sounds and for the critter stuff.

I will share what I can find. I just wrote a massive e-mail to who I think is t-roll, and hopefully I can add to the list.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

I'm not sure if Drog will return or not. While the Arcanum community seems to appreciate his contributions, they do not seem to like Drog as a person very much due to the drama that he has started in various places, notably RPG Codex.

Modmyth
Reactions:
Mood:
El Salvador

You know, it is weird, but I am only really familiar with the House of Lords drama. And then not so much. Drog has acted rudely for a long time, despite his great patches.

I am not that familiar with the RPG Codex drama. I read a reference to that in HOL. I have visited RPG Codex often, and I may be a member, but I don't remember. It has been a while.

I do wish Drog would return. His stuff was/is so easy to use.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

He made it quite easy for sure. I didn't follow the RPG Codex drama because I don't visit that forum, but I've heard he caused quite an uproar.