Regarding spam posts

[1.0x] Find out everything that is happening, sometimes before it even happens!
Deleted User 59
Reactions:

Regarding spam posts

Post by Deleted User 59 » 5 months ago

I already had to delete a spam account. Just for those who do see new threads in Russian or generic, dubious quality content being posted with new users generally with "odd links" in the signature: don't bother responding to spam, just PM an admin or whatever and we'll handle it.

I just hope it doesn't have to come to entirely blocking former Soviet Union countries from accessing. Seems as though almost immediately after a YandexBot inquiry to a site it starts to gain malicious spam and "SEO" bots...

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 9
Argentina

Re: Regarding spam posts

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 5 months ago

I will try installing no-captcha and Stop Forum Spam integration. That should help reduce the amount of spammers that are allowed to register.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

Deleted User 59
Reactions:

Post by Deleted User 59 » 5 months ago

Personally I think a fairly elaborate Q&A would be more effective than a CAPTCHA (which some spam tools, such as XRumer can bypass with an external service or human input to my knowledge). Obviously nothing that would be unbreakable by a new, human user but something specifically pertaining to the forum that is easy enough to find for a legitimate person (like 'What colour dress does MeowsePad's avatar wear') for example. The SFS integration is a good idea but a lot of the spam accounts I've witnessed seem to generate new emails and usernames pretty quickly, rendering it useless unless there's already a match in the database.

CAPTCHAs also break under JS-disabled environments, or older browsers. While the board isn't optimised for older devices per se, it's nice to have some accessibility. Plus I'm sure some individuals out there are not particularly comfortable with having Google trace everything they do, which seems to be the main goal of the CAPTCHA.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 9
Argentina

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 5 months ago

Sounds good. :)
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch