Cult/Fringe Facts

[1.0x] Chat with your fellow forumers about anything that your heart desires.
User avatar
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Posts: 2459
Joined: 2 months ago
Location: TN
Gender: Male
Mood:
Age: 26
United States of America

Cult/Fringe Facts

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

Based on something I've mentioned in a thread I thought I'd write out some random facts on some famous cults. I can go deeper into the history of any of them if people wish but that's not my idea for this particular post.

The Branch Davidians are still around and on the Mount Carmel property where the government had the standoff with Koresh there's two churches. One believes Koresh was a false messiah and is returning to what the group believed before Koresh arrived. The other believes Koresh was Jesus and are awaiting his return. The reason they share this property is because the courts ruled both had the rights to it. There's actually a little museum and memorial to the ones who died in the fire. Both groups do seem to agree though that the government very poorly handled the situation. The first group also sells replica business cards of Koresh's when he promoted his music to labels.

Speaking of Koresh's music here's an example of one of his songs. The video even shows what the business card looked like.



Heaven's Gate actually has quite a number of survivors. Not all of them committed suicide to reach TELAH. Their website is still up and if you email the group you can actually receive a response and many have talked to them. There's also other survivors who do Youtube videos and such. The website is really interesting if anyone wants to see a surviving 90s site unchanged.

http://www.heavensgate.com/

There is recorded audio of Jim Jones and the People's Temple while they were committing suicide. I won't link that because it's pretty disturbing honestly.

I can post more if people are curious. Cults, mass shootings, and such are one of my many little fringe interests.
Last edited by slooroo 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Juneberry
Content Creator
Reactions:
Posts: 3923
Joined: 3 months ago
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Female
Age: 27
Contact:
United States of America

Cult Facts

Post by Juneberry » 1 month ago

I'm quite curious about some of these cults, as I'd never heard of them honestly. I'm not sure why, but they're pretty fascinating. I haven't heard of the ones you mentioned though, so I'm even more curious now to hear more about them and their beliefs o.o;

User avatar
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Posts: 2459
Joined: 2 months ago
Location: TN
Gender: Male
Mood:
Age: 26
United States of America

Cult Facts

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

Juneberry wrote:
1 month ago
I'm quite curious about some of these cults, as I'd never heard of them honestly. I'm not sure why, but they're pretty fascinating. I haven't heard of the ones you mentioned though, so I'm even more curious now to hear more about them and their beliefs o.o;
I can give brief explanations of some of the groups. Some do have pretty complicated beliefs.

Some more facts

It's pretty well known L. Ron Hubbard wrote science fiction before he created Scientology. He actually wrote more than science fiction. Hubbard tried in his hand in pretty much every genre. I've read one of his non-sci fi works and it's not mind blowing but it's not bad. It's a textbook definition of a dime store novel you'd probably read in a day and forget afterwards. As for Scientology itself he actually originally didn't advertise it as a religion. Dianetics was promoted more as a new, greater mental health field and Hubbard even had a big showcase where he was going to show off the first "clear" who could do superhuman feats. The issue is the person wasn't even capable of doing small things like remembering the color of a person's tie she just saw. Needless to say this was a massive failure for Hubbard but it also led to Dianetics becoming Scientology and the religion angle. He also advertised Dianetics in the same magazines he sent his fiction to. Really Scientology is such a massive topic I could write about it all day.

In college I wrote a paper for a psychology class about Aum Shinrikyo, the most infamous cult in Japan who killed people in the sarine gas attack on Tokyo subways. They actually worked with more than just sarine gas though. They also tried creating their own nuclear weapons, bioweapons, and truth serum. The group split after the incident into two groups. Aleph is the more infamous of the two and still secretly follows Asahara's belief system even if they deny it publically. Their main form of advertisement is by offering "free yoga classes" and slowly choosing who to recruit based on those classes. The other group, Hikari no Wa, claims to have rejected the former and is a new group of itself and as far as I can tell Japan finds them harmless.

The FLDS are a splinter group of the main Mormon church led currently by Warren Jeffs from prison who is currently serving a life sentence for child sexual assault. They're mostly famous for being polygamist with Jeffs alone having about 70+ wives. What fewer people know is that the group is massively inbred since it ends up a tiny group of people participating in polygamy and having tons of children catches up with you. They're actually so inbred scientists have noted entire new genetic defects have been created by them. The church even has a massive graveyard with hundreds of just babies who didn't survive due to this.

User avatar
Juneberry
Content Creator
Reactions:
Posts: 3923
Joined: 3 months ago
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Female
Age: 27
Contact:
United States of America

Cult Facts

Post by Juneberry » 1 month ago

That's a lot of interesting information. I never even heard of some of these groups! I was aware Dianetics was originally for mental health though. I never fully understood how it worked, however.

I think I've vaguely heard of FLDS but only because of the guy in jail being brought up on TV before. I'm fascinated and appalled by how that one worked. I'm fine with polygamy, but inbreeding is tricky business. ><

User avatar
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Posts: 2459
Joined: 2 months ago
Location: TN
Gender: Male
Mood:
Age: 26
United States of America

Cult Facts

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

Juneberry wrote:
1 month ago
I never fully understood how it worked, however.
Mix Buddhism, Psychoanalysis, and science fiction. Hubbard was really familiar with all three.
Juneberry wrote:
1 month ago
I think I've vaguely heard of FLDS but only because of the guy in jail being brought up on TV before. I'm fascinated and appalled by how that one worked. I'm fine with polygamy, but inbreeding is tricky business. ><
Most FLDS marriages aren't exactly consensual. The FLDS in fact has a practice of if a man doesn't do what he's supposed to the church can take his wives and have them married off to someone more loyal. FLDS women are more trophies and property than anything and most won't raise much of a fuss about it because they're not allowed to disobey God and the prophet.

User avatar
Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Posts: 3131
Joined: 3 months ago
Location: Cutieville
Gender: Female
Referrals: 8
Age: 4
Contact:
Argentina

Cult Facts

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 1 month ago

Polygamy is fine in my opinion if it's consensual, but as you said, most "marriages" in the FLDS are far from consensual.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

User avatar
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Posts: 2459
Joined: 2 months ago
Location: TN
Gender: Male
Mood:
Age: 26
United States of America

Cult Facts

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

Pretty much. A similar situation occurred in the Branch Davidians where the men had to begin giving Koresh their wives and daughters because Koresh began teaching that children he birthed would play a major role in the prophecy of the Book of Revelation.

Going back to Scientology a moment L. Ron Hubbard before his death started a major writing competition for new writers with major prize money and getting to be published. On top of this you get a free trip to attend a week long workshop where some rather famous writers like Frank Herbert, Orson Scott Card, and Brandon Sandersen will help the winners refine their skills even more. From what I've seen winners have had mixed feelings about it. Some really had a good time and enjoyed the money, fame, and meeting fellow writers while others felt exploited as part of a Scientology publicity scheme.

User avatar
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Posts: 2459
Joined: 2 months ago
Location: TN
Gender: Male
Mood:
Age: 26
United States of America

Cult Facts

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

Heaven's Gate is one of my favorite cults and I think a major reason why I find it fascinating is because I fully believe Marshall Applewhite (Do) was a true believer in everything he said. When you read about someone like Jim Jones it's clear Jones didn't believe in anything he said besides the communist stuff since he was a true believer there. Do on the other hand I truly think saw himself as a representative to the alien-God and truly thought his deceased partner Bonnie Nettles (Ti) was waiting for him on the spaceship behind Hale Bopp.

So I mentioned before not all Heaven's Gate members committed suicide. There's actually multiple reasons for this. The two who run the website were members who fell in love and because of this Applewhite allowed them to leave on good terms and worked with them to handle the group's legal stuff once the group was gone. Their main duties is the keep the website up and share Heaven's Gate materials with anyone who asks. The group left money for this but according to the couple the money's been long spent and they've been operating everything out of their own pocket ever since. Another who's still alive said that at the last moment he was beginning to have doubts about him joining the others and after a discussion with Applewhite it was agreed that he should leave. Which is an interesting theme with Heaven's Gate. The group never forced anyone to stay and you could leave at any time if you wished but it was with the knowledge that if you did you wouldn't be coming back. These survivors have been asked if they will try to restart Heaven's Gate but the general answer given is "No unless Ti and Do contact us to do so."

The group always lived together in one building and their last home was a really nice mansion in California and because the group lived as a collective and always stayed together some may wonder how they made money. Their main source of income actually came from the internet. The group was trained in web design and ran companies selling their services and with the explosion of popularity the internet was having they made a lot of money and was constantly getting work.

Heaven's Gate is classified as a UFO cult. They bought alien abduction insurance in case of being harmed, kidnapped, or impregnated by aliens. Applewhite was also a huge fan of Star Trek and told the group everything on the show was actually real and the actors were merely reenacting actual events unknowingly. This has a sad note in that Nichelle Nichols, the actress who played Uhura in the original Star Trek franchise, suffered from this due to the fact that her brother Thomas was part of the group and in the final video the group released you can see Thomas's interview and he notes he was the "happiest man in the world."

So in an earlier post I mentioned the term TELAH. TELAH stands for "The Evolutionary Level Above Human" which meant that they would become spirit-aliens living in the galaxy on spaceships and such to make it overly simple. Heaven's Gate believed their time on Earth and everything they did was a training session to prepare to enter "the kingdom of God" or space. So they all wore the same clothes, kept their head shaved, changed their name to something gender neutral, and gave up sex and gender entirely. They would also eat the same meals and do whatever assigned tasks they were given. If Applewhite was having a class that day everyone attended it. It was essentially a modern day monastery in terms of operation. All of this led up to the big event where Applewhite declared that a spaceship was behind Hale-Bopp and they would need to leave their earthly bodies behind in order to reach TELAH. So the group took turns at committing suicide by drinking poison, tying a plastic bag around their head, then lying down in a bed where another member would cover them with a blanket. This was done in stages until the entire group was dead. Applewhite wasn't the final member to commit suicide in case anyone was curious.

User avatar
Juneberry
Content Creator
Reactions:
Posts: 3923
Joined: 3 months ago
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Female
Age: 27
Contact:
United States of America

Cult Facts

Post by Juneberry » 1 month ago

slooroo wrote:
1 month ago
Applewhite wasn't the final member to commit suicide in case anyone was curious.
This makes me further believe he truly believed in what he was preaching. I mean if he didn't, why wouldn't he wait until he was the last one?

User avatar
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Posts: 2459
Joined: 2 months ago
Location: TN
Gender: Male
Mood:
Age: 26
United States of America

Cult Facts

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

Juneberry wrote:
1 month ago
This makes me further believe he truly believed in what he was preaching. I mean if he didn't, why wouldn't he wait until he was the last one?
Some argue that he wasn't but I disagree. Usually critics will say Heaven's Gate was his escape from being a homosexual in a hyper conservative religious household. Fairly there is some level of truth to this. Heaven's Gate did attract an abnormal number of LGBT who likely hated themselves for it and Applewhite himself could've been one of them. Several in the group actually went to Mexico to be castrated because they believed it would aid their studies to TELAH if they killed what caused their sexual desire. That said I do think Applewhite genuinely believed everything he said, even if some if it was basically a coping mechanism.

Post Reply