Languages

[1.0x] Chat with your fellow forumers about anything that your heart desires.
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Languages

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

Princess MeowsePad wrote:
1 month ago
Try telling the average person on the street that people from Spain are white. They won't believe you.
I made a sport out of speaking random Arabic phrases when I was younger. So I know plenty about that.

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Languages

Post by Kaunisto » 1 month ago

It's kind of strange how Spanish has been ignored in Finland, despite Spain being a classic holiday target (at least back in 80's and 90's it was the place to go) and notable number of Finns even retiring there.
Of course we got to learn English first as the big world language and Swedish is the second official language*, but then we go for German and French, or for practical reasons Russian, Estonian, Arabic or Chinese (or possibly Japanese, us weebs).

*=that's a big ongoing language battle, whether language of 5% minority should remain in equal status to Finnish, especially as other minor languages are increasing through immigration (Russian and Arabic on top)

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Languages

I considered trying to learn Estonian for laughs one time but there's so few resources for English speakers. As for Spanish I'd definitely call it the second most practical European language after English with Russian or German in third if you're talking purely business languages. Really at this point in my life I learn languages as a hobby and not because I plan on using them in a practical field.

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Languages

Post by Kaunisto » 1 month ago

I really should take a look at learning some basic Estonian, to see how easy it might be as it's the closest relative to Finnish.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Languages

I would imagine such resources would be more plentiful in Finnish than English. If it's ever offered on Duolingo I'd consider trying it. Not that Duolingo is perfect but it gives you a start.