Languages

[1.0x] Chat with your fellow forumers about anything that your heart desires.
Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 8
Argentina

Languages

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 1 month ago

slooroo wrote:
1 month ago
English is a strange language since it was morphed by every group that conquered the British Isles at any point. Look at the oldest forms of English and it's nothing like modern English.
For sure. Old English was a lot more similar to German, and then the Romans and the French had a profound impact on the language and made it more similar to other romance languages. However, English is still approximately sixty percent germanic.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

Deleted User 59
Reactions:

Languages

Post by Deleted User 59 » 1 month ago

60%+ of the UK can’t write correctly either. Then again, is there really any strongly-fixed standard to UK English, given the diverse amount of dialects and such spread across the country...

Cassieboo
Administrator
Reactions:
Mood:

Languages

Post by Cassieboo » 1 month ago

I took like 2.5 years of Spanish in highschool but retained basically none of it :/

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

Languages

Cassieboo wrote:
1 month ago
I took like 2.5 years of Spanish in highschool but retained basically none of it :/
I thought you took more. :O

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Languages

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

Princess MeowsePad wrote:
1 month ago
For sure. Old English was a lot more similar to German, and then the Romans and the French had a profound impact on the language and made it more similar to other romance languages. However, English is still approximately sixty percent germanic.
Dutch is similar in a way. I've jokingly told people Dutch is if German, French, and English had a baby.
Cassieboo wrote:
1 month ago
I took four years and I can still read basic sentences but I probably would need guides to write a proper sentence.

Deleted User 59
Reactions:

Languages

Post by Deleted User 59 » 1 month ago

learning in school doesn't particularly get you anywhere it seems

it's a lot easier if you're learning independently and stuff obviously

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Languages

Jamie wrote:
1 month ago
learning in school doesn't particularly get you anywhere it seems

it's a lot easier if you're learning independently and stuff obviously
In the US at least the issue is people try to learn a language way later on. Many countries teach two languages to young kids in school and we should be the same really. Why we don't has a wide variety of reasons.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

Languages

slooroo wrote:
1 month ago
Many countries teach two languages to young kids in school and we should be the same really. Why we don't has a wide variety of reasons.
Old white people are scared to death that white people might not be the majority soon, and they feel that admitting that we are a multilingual nation would be tantamount to admitting that white people are no longer the dominant group in the U.S.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Languages

Princess MeowsePad wrote:
1 month ago
Old white people are scared to death that white people might not be the majority soon, and they feel that admitting that we are a multilingual nation would be tantamount to admitting that white people are no longer the dominant group in the U.S.
That's one factor, yes. Funny thing is Spanish is a European language and even in the "white language" family there's plenty that would serve practical use and even have historic connections to the US like German or Russian if we're so insistent on not using languages that aren't European. The Spanish thing is funny since even Thomas Jefferson told his children and grandchildren it was a vital language to learn. That said the schools in their current state aren't suited for this at their current state and the parents on average would need tutors for their children since most parents won't know the second language either.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

Languages

Try telling the average person on the street that people from Spain are white. They won't believe you.