Weird tech stories

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Weird tech stories

Post by slooroo » 2 months ago

I figure I'd create a misc. thread for things I remember that isn't related to bigger threads.

Seeing the Windows related things reminded me of my time in middle school and young sloo was very excited about how finally he would be using the school's technology lab, the place where the newest tech is shown off to students! Too bad the computers were using Windows 95 in the XP era, half of the other machines didn't work, and the school only allowed us to use the remaining machines twice in an entire year.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Weird tech stories

Post by Juneberry » 2 months ago

My dad was in charge of my school's computer club when I was in elementary school. He and the kids made web pages that dad burned on discs and then the school said they couldn't be distributed to the kids because of names being included, then when he fixed that it was still not allowed, so he ended up with a ton of discs of the website.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Weird tech stories

I used to be part of a class that worked on the high school website. I didn't know anything about coding but I had a code to put a shoutbox on it. It was getting constant troll messages so my teacher made me remove it. I was sad because I was part of the trolling.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Weird tech stories

Oh oh! A couple times, my friends or dad's friends would ask dad to fix their computers for them... And when he finally finished them, they'd just tell us to keep it as collateral because they already bought a new one.

That's how I got my current laptop. The new one is just new.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Weird tech stories

My friend does that kind of thing and he gets paid pretty well for it and they dump old computers on him constantly too.

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Weird tech stories

Post by Kaunisto » 2 months ago

Our school "computer club" was that hour or two after classes couple days a week anyone could go play or fool around with computers (mostly 286 I recall). This was at age 13-16.
The teachers budgeted one game to be bought to increase interest (as if that mattered as we had dozen pirated or shareware games around). We students got to choose the game - as of course we should have a say and teachers didn't know anything about games anyway.

We got Larry 5 :D

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Weird tech stories

Games for school computers was a mix of finding flash game sites that weren't blocked and people passing around the Halo demo to install on every computer.

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Weird tech stories

With sadness I remember The Game Annihilation of 1993 (or 1994?) - as I call it. Until then there had been couple boxes of disks of pirated games installed on most computers - Last Crusade, Larry 1, Grand Prix...

In years after that there wouldn't be many games, or at least they didn't last long. But then came internet (1995 I think) and we got other uses for the computers.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Weird tech stories

Kaunisto wrote:
2 months ago
With sadness I remember The Game Annihilation of 1993 (or 1994?)
Are you talking about Total Annihilation by any chance? That game brings up great memories~

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Weird tech stories

No, don't think I've ever played that. "The Game Annihilation" (rough translation of the actual Finnish term) is just a name me and buddies had for the time teachers wiped all the (pirated) games from school computers, never to be reinstalled.