Weird tech stories

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Weird tech stories

Post by slooroo » 2 months ago

My school had to get better at their computer wipes because I was hiding files and renaming them in clever ways to get around their original way of doing it.

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Weird tech stories

Post by Kaunisto » 2 months ago

Reminds me of an opposite example when someone had installed Doom in root directory.
Math/computer teacher - usually a nice man - gave us a rant, comparing that to use of public toilet in a manner that you don't just miss and spray around but instead don't go to stall at all and take a dump in middle of floor :shock:
That's the second most colorful metaphor I ever heard from a teacher. (Don't ask.)

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Weird tech stories

I told this story before but I put the Badger Badger Badger site up on all of the computers in the classroom in high school and the teacher panicked thinking it was a virus. The other kids were dying of laughter from that.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Weird tech stories

Post by Juneberry » 2 months ago

That's hysterical Sloo! I just left if on for days on one of the computers at home to confuse dad when it finally ended up out of sync.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Weird tech stories

Another small story is I used to be really good at finding obscure flash game sites to get around the school censors. I became pretty popular for sharing them.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Weird tech stories

Post by slooroo » 4 weeks ago

Perhaps more related to games I was thinking a lot about Tiger electronic games the other day. Being poor my mom didn't like buying me a lot of games for my Playstation or Game Boy so Tiger Electronic games became a common thing in my life because my mom could get a bunch easily. Hell even McDonalds would have them in kids meals. None of them were good but it's amazing how easily you can be amused as a kid.

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Weird tech stories

Post by Kaunisto » 3 weeks ago

Back in 80's my cousins had Philips Videopac (aka Magnavox Odyssey2). Eventually one of the controllers broke, pretty profoundly. (I think the joysticks were connected to the console so they were irreplaceable.)

So for two player games, we learned to play on the wires of the broken joystick. 6 wires, when you'd touch one (red maybe?) to each of the others, you got up/down/left/right and fire.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Weird tech stories

Post by slooroo » 3 weeks ago

I never flat out took a controller apart but I remember one of my PS controllers getting so wonky I got used to how stupid it became. When I finally got a new one it felt weird using a normal controller again. Also related to the Magnavox I got to see the Ralph Baer collection at the Smithsonian who invented the Odyssey. Very fascinating man and I'm glad he got the recognition he deserved before he died.

nate9000
Cutie
Reactions:
Mood:
Great Britain

Weird tech stories

Post by nate9000 » 3 weeks ago

My HS neglected to secure the admin account on every individual computer. They had a login system over lan but they left the admin accounts wide open.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Weird tech stories

Post by slooroo » 3 weeks ago

nate9000 wrote:
3 weeks ago
My HS neglected to secure the admin account on every individual computer. They had a login system over lan but they left the admin accounts wide open.
High schools were and still are massive holes security-wise. I told my mom after watching a report on ransomware how easy it'd be to infect almost anyone in this area due to that.