Has A Power Surge Ever Fried Some of your Electronics?

[1.0x] Talk all about your life. Rants are welcome.
Spook of the lost
Reactions:
Mood:

Re: Has A Power Surge Ever Fried Some of your Electronics?

Post by Spook of the lost » 3 weeks ago

Webster wrote:
3 weeks ago
Onboard, I think, because as I remember the computer repairmen's thought on it, if the surge had been any stronger, it would've fried the motherboard.
oof, yeah, sounds like it stopped at a capacitor or two along with the connector.

easy to fix with a bit of time but definitely could have been worse.

Ravenfreak
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Ravenfreak » 2 weeks ago

Oh yeah, the storm messed up my tv as well. I figured that out a few weeks ago, when I tried to hook up the PS2 that I bought off of ebay. I thought I bought a faulty console, but it turns out the stupid storm fried the part of the tv that has the av ports but didn't fry the board that contains the hdmi ports... >_> So I can no longer hook up my older consoles to the tv, unless I get a AV to HDMI converter.

Spook of the lost
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Spook of the lost » 1 week ago

@ ravenfreak.

sounds like the Analog to digital converter went.

it's a small chip that converts the analog signal into something the digital encoder on the TV would understand.

if it were simply the ports or some part of the circuit you'd get fuzzy/distorted signal due to the nature of analog being... well analog.

but if there's no signal going from the A/D chip to the Digital signal processor then there's no signal at all.

this can be bypassed however you are right in that your best bet is to get an external A/D Device.

or you could bypass the Analog inputs entirely with an OSSC based mod and get better than the original signal lol.

as a side note, they make HDMI cables for PS2 these days so that's also an option ;)

they're basically taking the PS2's Component signal, up-scaling them from 240p/480p/480i to 720p/1080p digital signal and feeding them to the HDMI input on the TV.

it's not perfect but they work decently little to no lag from the scaling/conversion process.