Has A Power Surge Ever Fried Some of your Electronics?

[1.0x] Talk all about your life. Rants are welcome.
Ravenfreak
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Ravenfreak » 3 months ago

Just a random question since this recently happened to me, has this happened to any of you guys before? The other night we got some pretty bad storms here, and around 1 am lightning struck our house which caused a power surge. This fried two of our cable boxes, my girlfriend's parent's Keurig, and my Playstation Classic along with the flash drive that was attached to it. It also shocked my girlfriend's mother, who was holding her phone at the time. Two capacitors were blown in my PS Classic, so I threw the motherboard away and kept the shell. I'm not too happy about it, but now I'm debating on getting a Raspberry Pi and housing it in the PS Classic shell. I'd need to drill out some holes for the lan and power ports though, so I might not even bother and do something else with the shell. Her mother is fine, her hand is slowly starting to feel better.

Megan
Ferret Queen
Reactions:

Post by Megan » 3 months ago

A couple years back we had something similar. It was something the electric company was doing I think that caused it. Anyway, if I recall it fried my parents tv. Most of my stuff was okay I think. Luckily the surge protector saved it (may of lost stuff just don't remember). After the surge protectors were fried though. Also a duck lamp of mine needs a new cord from that too.

If a storm is real bad now I unplug a lot of my stuff just in case.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 9
Argentina

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 3 months ago

I lost a TV to a power surge once. Other than that, I've never had anything like that happen.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 3 months ago

Yeah some cable boxes have been taken out due to this. Thankfully nothing else though.

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Post by Kaunisto » 3 months ago

Living in apartment building, I've never had any.

Spook of the lost
Reactions:
Mood:

Re: Has A Power Surge Ever Fried Some of your Electronics?

Post by Spook of the lost » 1 month ago

not me personally no, I'm always careful about this.

however my grandfather lost a hard drive in a power surge once, this was back before I really got into computing and really tinkering with them.

luckily it was only the external enclosure that was fried and the drive was able to be recovered/backed up but I never forgot to always put circuit breakers on any system with electronics, and keep regular backups to prevent loss.

Webster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Webster » 3 weeks ago

Once, earlier this year; fried my cable modem, the ethernet cord connecting the modem to the computer and the ethernet card inside my computer.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 9
Argentina

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 3 weeks ago

I'm glad I've never had a power surge destroy any of my computer stuff.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

Spook of the lost
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Spook of the lost » 3 weeks ago

Webster wrote:
3 weeks ago
Once, earlier this year; fried my cable modem, the ethernet cord connecting the modem to the computer and the ethernet card inside my computer.
Was it an onboard ethernet card or PCI/PCI-E?

I've repaired both before and it's usually a chip swap, maybe bridge damaged sections of a circuit if the burning was bad enough to break the copper, A few replacement capacitors and resistors, and occasionally, a replacement Ethernet connector.
The main chip, and the capacitors are the most at risk though, the chip because it's sensitive and the capacitors because they're usually on a power circuit and can easily get overloaded in a surge.

It's tricky isolating an ethernet network from power surges, which is why the cable modem's coaxial input, along with the power feeding the modem, the ethernet between the modem and the router, and the power to the router, are all routed through surge protector circuits just in case so I can isolate damage to just one device if it does occur.

thank goodness they're cheap :sweatdrop:

Webster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Webster » 3 weeks ago

Spook of the lost wrote:
3 weeks ago
Webster wrote:
3 weeks ago
Was it an onboard ethernet card or PCI/PCI-E?

I've repaired both before and it's usually a chip swap, maybe bridge damaged sections of a circuit if the burning was bad enough to break the copper, A few replacement capacitors and resistors, and occasionally, a replacement Ethernet connector.
The main chip, and the capacitors are the most at risk though, the chip because it's sensitive and the capacitors because they're usually on a power circuit and can easily get overloaded in a surge.

It's tricky isolating an ethernet network from power surges, which is why the cable modem's coaxial input, along with the power feeding the modem, the ethernet between the modem and the router, and the power to the router, are all routed through surge protector circuits just in case so I can isolate damage to just one device if it does occur.

thank goodness they're cheap :sweatdrop:
Onboard, I think, because as I remember the computer repairmen's thought on it, if the surge had been any stronger, it would've fried the motherboard.