Is modern -insert media here- worse than classics?

[4.0x] Engage in civil discussion about serious, real-life topics.
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 3 months ago

Inspired by some attractive person who stole our admin's name in this video here:

It got me to think is modern worse than the classics? This is a pretty common topic in pretty much every medium I find. Book nerds will argue this. Video game nerds will argue this. Movie nerds. TV nerds. Car nerds. Wrestling nerds. Pretty much every hobby on the planet. I always feel mixed about it because I find it a bizarre topic honestly. There's great modern titles and great classic titles. There's absolute garbage modern titles and absolute garbage classic titles. I really couldn't name "the perfect era" of anything.

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Post by Kaunisto » 3 months ago

"Classics" are the ones that are remembered, bits of gold shifted from tons of sand.
With "modern", we're still standing in the figurative sand pile, lucky to find bits of gold here and there.
For this reason, while you can compare past eras, you can't really compare them with anything close enough to present to be called modern.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 9
Argentina

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 3 months ago

I think this is more true in the video game world because the amount of involvement by mega-corporations has increased. Whenever things become more corporate and less independent, the quality tends to decline.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Princess MeowsePad wrote:
3 months ago
I think this is more true in the video game world because the amount of involvement by mega-corporations has increased. Whenever things become more corporate and less independent, the quality tends to decline.
There's some truth to this definitely. At the same time though I think plenty of relatively new games have been great. I loved Nier Automata and Persona 5. Bayonetta 2 is solid if you're into the unique style Platinum has. I really think whether you have a bad time with the modern era depends on your personal tastes and genre preferences.

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Post by Kaunisto » 3 months ago

slooroo wrote:
3 months ago
I really think whether you have a bad time with the modern era depends on your personal tastes and genre preferences.
True, when you think of movies (and TV) there's kind of a notable genre for each decade: 90's was scifi, 00's fantasy, 10's superhero era.
In games the genres change in shorter cycles. FPS, RTS, GTA clones, MMORPG... rarely anything is continuously on top for decade, or even 5 years. But every now and then it bugs a gamer when for couple years the most popular genre is one he doesn't enjoy.
(Just imagine how much fun have been having the people who hate superhero films.)

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

I know that a few years back there were major complaints about the lack of platformers, especially collect a thon platformers. Now there seems to be a small increase in those. I guess RPGs are what's in demand now since it seems a bunch of cool franchises are getting titles.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

It's been a while since there's been a good RPG with depth and an immersive world.

Deleted User 59
Reactions:

Post by Deleted User 59 » 3 months ago

2016 and the future seems to have been the death overall of any effort being made. They know a lot of people will buy bad things to mock it or such for the memes and publicity and that makes money so why would they care.

While 2009 was the death of a lot of things, 2012 and 2016 seem to be the driving years to killing off everyone’s hearted efforts.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Princess MeowsePad wrote:
3 months ago
It's been a while since there's been a good RPG with depth and an immersive world.
I think that depends on what you seek in a RPG.
Jamie wrote:
3 months ago
They know a lot of people will buy bad things to mock it or such for the memes and publicity and that makes money so why would they care.
Unfortunately I consider this "Youtuber bait" where people make intentional garbage hoping some famous streamer covers it and they gain sales purely off that. That's only slightly more effort than the 5 zillion hentai slider puzzles on Steam

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

I feel like all the quality control has just disappeared from Steam. :P