Should veterans have a month dedicated to them?

[4.0x] Engage in civil discussion about serious, real-life topics.
Ravenfreak
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Ravenfreak » 2 months ago

One of my second cousins keeps annoyingly sharing this absurd post on Facebook about how "veterans only get a day to be honored, where gay people get a whole month dedicated to them and they think it's wrong." I'll keep the anti-lgbtq crap out of this topic, because that's not the point of this topic. Anyways I think veterans deserve more than just one day to be honored, but honestly not a entire month. I say they deserve a week or two. Because while I do honor what they've done for me and my country, you cannot compare the two. Do you think veterans need longer recognition?

Juneberry
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Juneberry » 2 months ago

I could definitely say more than a day is a good idea, but a month... I already find the fact we need to do a month for any group a problem. Rather than 'honoring', it kind of just 'reminds the world we exist' instead of promoting better treatment, at least that's what I find. Veterans surely have it tough and have been through their share of bullying by non-veterans, but a whole month... I barely want that for the groups I fit, I can't imagine why a vet would want a whole month being reminded of what led to potential PTSD and other things.

masterminor
Cutie
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by masterminor » 2 months ago

I don't even really know what to say about this. I feel like a whole month dedicated to veterans would end up pretty pro-war. I have no problem of families honoring their loved ones who gave their lives to serve their country. But strangers doing it for no real reason other than to honor them is kinda weird and a bit close to godly worship in my eyes and all that is a bit much.

However all lives are valuable and should be treated as such. But such mentality also extends to those in poverty and not everyone you see campaigning for honoring the military will do the same for a non-vet in poverty.

I think we need to stop looking at only the people who served or otherwise did something with their lives and help the people who can't. That would be the biggest honor we could give any veteran I think. Because they fought for them too, and if they need help it would be a disservice to this country the veterans to deny them

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 8
Argentina

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 2 months ago

I think the veteran worship comes from the fact that the U.S. is culturally very militaristic, as evidenced by the fact that we still have the Selective Service System where conscription could be reinstated at any time at the whip of a hat. People who fight for freedom and to defend those who are vulnerable or less fortunate should be honored; people who are conned by the corporate government to take guns and bombs to foreign countries to murder their citizens and steal their oil (and paid pitifully low wages in return for their contributions to billions of dollars in corporate profit), on the other hand...
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

I'm completely fine with the idea of a veteran month or even a military month if one made it broader. Hell you could split up the days to give special recognition to interesting figures past and present of each branch as well as the common person. I don't find that special holidays for that HAS to brainwash people into support bullshit foreign wars any more than pride month brainwashes someone into being LGBT. That said such a month should also be used in being blunt about the truths of war and while honoring the vital national values of bravery and sacrifice also note that doesn't mean we need to throw them into pointless situations. Such a month could also be used to note the massive issues active duty military and veterans have and how those issues should be tackled. Despite my personal feelings about the Vietnam War's necessity I respect my grandfather and uncles' service who were part of the conflict even if they didn't want to be. That said such a holiday should be designed by active duty/veterans for active duty/veterans and I as a pure civilian should have little to no say in such a matter.

Yumika
Cutie
Reactions:

Post by Yumika » 1 month ago

Not every soldier goes to war. Remember, their jobs are to serve this country. Even the police are soldiers by definition.

IMO, the only ones who should be complaining are the soldiers themselves. It's a very tough, but ultimately rewarding position. Your life will change in an instant when you sign off on the papers to enlist.

Therefore, yes, I support a veteran pride month. Things like PTSD and homelessness happen way too often, unfortunately. I also hate it when people say that only LGBTs are "heroic". For example, Caitlyn Jenner is not a "hero", because she already had all the blessings of wealth and family, compared to a standalone LGBT who had to figure everything out themselves, living on peanuts and being constantly judged by family. Until the big celebrities and politicians realize how hard we (LGBT and non-LGBT alike) have it, then what they "accomplished" were already handed to them from the start.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 8
Argentina

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 1 month ago

Caitlyn Jenner makes zero sense anyway considering the fact that she is anti-gay...
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch