Literature inferior to other mediums?

[4.0x] Engage in civil discussion about serious, real-life topics.
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

This is a topic I sometimes see on sites where people make the argument that movies and video games have not only replaced books but have surpassed them in all ways. It's likely true the two have surpassed the popularity of books but personally I don't think either have surpassed the greatest books out there. There is a level of depth I find that books have that for whatever reason film and video games have yet to truly hit. I think that's why the popular thing people always say is the book is better than the movie. Plus with film and video games you see the director's vision for a story while when you read a book your mind creates it's own pictures and I think that's a huge difference as well.

Juneberry
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Juneberry » 1 month ago

I see them too online, but it's usually arguments that the book is worse than the movie or game based on it, which I find is rarely true. I tend to like the books better, and while I don't read as much outside manga anymore, I think reading is still an important hobby and also just important for our growth as people.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 8
Argentina

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 1 month ago

There are many things that you can say in books that you just cannot say as efficiently in movies or video games. Like you said, books provide a level of depth that cannot be matched by any other media. I don't think that books are going anywhere anytime soon.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

Juneberry
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Juneberry » 1 month ago

I think the thing that is often compared wrongly is that common literature, i.e. novels and novellas, are often compared with comics, manga and the sort. I often hear people tell me 'read an actual book' when I'm reading a comic or a manga. I consider manga literature in its own right. Sorry, just had to ramble about that irritation for a moment >w<

masterminor
Cutie
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by masterminor » 1 month ago

I would argue that literature is one of the foundations of mediums and is second only to language itself. You can't have movies or TV without the literature of scripts to guide actors. You also can't have most triple A video games without the literature of story writers. Though we are not always directly exposed to the literature, it is all around us behind the scenes of every great film or game.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Princess MeowsePad wrote:
1 month ago
There are many things that you can say in books that you just cannot say as efficiently in movies or video games.
masterminor wrote:
1 month ago
You can't have movies or TV without the literature of scripts to guide actors.
Using these quotes I should note I think that's a massive part of film and video games that can hinder both mediums. Even the greatest actors and actresses can only go so far with a role. Even with a perfect script an actor can only do so much with a role to their own ability. It's why I find many book to movie adaptations will suffer but not always. There ARE some instances where a movie can surpass elements of a book. A really fascinating example and one most would be familiar with is Alan Rickman performing the role of Severus Snape. The man really breathed a life into Snape's character that the books couldn't do and even Rowling herself was in total awe that he did more with Snape than she could.
Juneberry wrote:
1 month ago
I think the thing that is often compared wrongly is that common literature, i.e. novels and novellas, are often compared with comics, manga and the sort. I often hear people tell me 'read an actual book' when I'm reading a comic or a manga. I consider manga literature in its own right. Sorry, just had to ramble about that irritation for a moment >w<
Manga and graphic novels are literature and even the most elitist literature experts are slowly confessing to that. In the graphic novel department you see plenty of praise for works like Maus and Watchmen.

Deleted User 59
Reactions:

Post by Deleted User 59 » 1 month ago

Literature isn't as popular anymore but a lot of inspirations for people have their roots in literature and also I think it's just the way kids/teens all think reading is a chore now :c

Also films are annoying since you can't just pause it or whatever for later or it gets really oddly fragmented in my mind, books don't do such thing to me

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Jamie wrote:
1 month ago
Literature isn't as popular anymore but a lot of inspirations for people have their roots in literature and also I think it's just the way kids/teens all think reading is a chore now :c

Also films are annoying since you can't just pause it or whatever for later or it gets really oddly fragmented in my mind, books don't do such thing to me
Really most people aren't aware of how much literature is referenced. Just the Bible alone is referenced more times by all media forms than anyone can count. Same thing with various mythologies, Shakespeare, and so on.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 8
Argentina

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 1 month ago

As much as younger generations fail to appreciate the importance of literature, I wonder if references to literature will disappear...
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Princess MeowsePad wrote:
1 month ago
As much as younger generations fail to appreciate the importance of literature, I wonder if references to literature will disappear...
Very possible. Video games that reference video games is becoming more and more common. Not to mention referencing memes which is one of the best way to make your game feel dated.