Religious Opinions

[4.0x] Engage in civil discussion about serious, real-life topics.
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Religious Opinions

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

On today's episode of "Sloo likely never making friends on this forum" he starts a thread on the debate section about one of the two most controversial things on the planet: religion. I will note right away if most of the answers aren't atheist/agnostic I will be shocked.

So I grew up as a Southern Baptist and I went pretty much every Sunday with my mother. I never got baptized but I did learn the Bible relatively well for a child and won quite a few prizes for memorizing verses when I was very young. One prize was a Pokemon VHS tape so it wasn't one of THOSE churches with the "Pokemon/Harry Potter is satanic" shtick. As I got older I think about like many I started questioning religion and I began to study other faiths like Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, various pagan faiths, Scientology, other types of Christianity, Judaism, and so on. When I moved to Memphis I decided to take on the task of attending as many Christian denominations as I could in order to make mental notes. I learned quite a bit but I think one that really stuck with me is the Eastern Orthodox divine liturgy. The chants, incense, candles, robes, icons, artwork, and so on for me created a very otherworldy feeling. It really felt like you left Earth and entered some heavenly realm. Ends up one of their pamphlets said this is a very common feeling and that really sealed my interest in Orthodoxy ever since. That said I've never joined any church and I've never been baptized but I can see myself eventually doing both. I've also had a lot of fascination with Buddhism and while I've never had the opportunity to attend a temple I have tried applying some Buddhist techniques to my life.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 8
Argentina

Religious Opinions

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 1 month ago

I'm an atheist. Most of my family members are the "yeah, I don't go to church much and break all of the commandments on a daily basis, but I'm suddenly dedicated to my faith whenever the subject of homosexuality comes up" type Christians.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Religious Opinions

Princess MeowsePad wrote:
1 month ago
I'm an atheist. Most of my family members are the "yeah, I don't go to church much and break all of the commandments on a daily basis, but I'm suddenly dedicated to my faith whenever the subject of homosexuality comes up" type Christians.
Most people I know are one of the two. Really spirituality is a bizarre thing to attempt to explain to people. I've tried a few times but I find it's hard to really put it into words that makes sense to other people.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 8
Argentina

Religious Opinions

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 1 month ago

I feel like you either have it or you don't. I don't, so I'm an atheist. I've known plenty of Christians who are decent people and are motivated by their faith to do wonderful things, but it seems that the majority just use religion as a propaganda tool or justification for hating people.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Religious Opinions

Unfortunately all religions have done wrong and will do wrong. There's really no escaping it since I fail to believe most people are "good."

Juneberry
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Religious Opinions

Post by Juneberry » 1 month ago

I was born and raised in a Jewish household- albeit Judaism has three types at this stage, plus a few sects that are separate from the three. I was raised in a 'reformed' family- we didn't go to synagogue regularly except for holidays, but I was still sent to Hebrew school as my grandparents wanted and had my bat mitzvah. Once that happened, my family stopped pushing me to accept Judaism, and my dad let me begin to explore various religions and told me to decide my own path. It turns out the only reason I was forced to practice Judaism at all was my grandparents.

I'm not athiest or agnostic, in my mind, because I just don't consider myself religious. I'm more the spiritual type- I believe in souls and spirits, and maybe a super strong/special spirit, but I'm not unbelieving or questioning of any gods. I think the higher spirits are essentially similar to gods, but not. I can't really describe it well... But I guess to most, I'd be considered more or less a neo-pagan? That said, I am a minister for the easiest religion to get to be a minister for: the Universal Life Church. It's similar to the Universal Unitarian group, but way too easy to become a minister in.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Religious Opinions

Juneberry wrote:
1 month ago
I was born and raised in a Jewish household
You might find this funny but I never met a Jewish person until I went to college. I had two Jewish professors. One was from the area and the other from Israel. They were two of my favorite professors and the one from Israel especially we'd walk to class together or I'd take things to his office since he's elderly.
Juneberry wrote:
1 month ago
I was forced to practice Judaism at all was my grandparents.
My living grandparents don't attend church and my dad doesn't either. Only my mom does on a regular basis anymore. My mom was lightly disappointed I didn't become a Baptist but she's relatively fine that I stayed within Christianity at least.
Juneberry wrote:
1 month ago
Universal Life Church
I did it just because I thought it was funny.

Juneberry
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Religious Opinions

slooroo wrote:
1 month ago
You might find this funny but I never met a Jewish person until I went to college.
I don't know what's funny about it or not. I may a bit surprised, but yet somehow... I have no idea what I think?
slooroo wrote:
1 month ago
I did it just because I thought it was funny.
I joined because all of us in a writing group decided to do it together and I was too intrigued when they talked about it not to. My dad has decided somehow or another I'll be the minister if he ever gets remarried.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Religious Opinions

Juneberry wrote:
1 month ago
I don't know what's funny about it or not. I may a bit surprised, but yet somehow... I have no idea what I think?
I live a hyper rural area so the closet thing to Judaism is the occasional Israeli flag some random church will fly. Some Jews thought it was strange though I went so long without meeting one however.

Juneberry
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Religious Opinions

My dad has taught me that it's a lot rarer in the south. I'm glad the two you met were nice ones. :) My primary doctor is Jewish, he constantly recommends Jewish doctors for me, and was the one who told me about my pharmacy. What I find interesting is he knows I don't believe/practice in Judaism at all, but because of the rule 'you're Jewish if your mom was', he still counts me. My psychiatrist is constantly trying to find ways to pair me up with a 'nice Jewish man' like my grandma always wanted. The network is weirdly tight and it's hard to escape, somehow.