The Redneck Excuse

[4.0x] Engage in civil discussion about serious, real-life topics.
jasony
Reactions:

The Redneck Excuse

Post by jasony » 2 weeks ago

In the south USA, people who stand up for their rights are often called redneck - when they're simply standing up for their rights. :mad:

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 8
Argentina

The Redneck Excuse

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 2 weeks ago

It depends on what "rights" they're standing up for. Some of them believe that they're entitled to keep assault weapons in the glove compartment, beat their wives, and burn down abortion clinics. If they're standing up for free speech or something like that, then yes, that's something that is well within reason.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

The Redneck Excuse

Post by slooroo » 2 weeks ago

I should note a few things before I begin.

1. Most rednecks aren't as dumb as television depicts them. They may not have high levels of traditional education but they usually are educated in other ways through family, friends, work, and life experience. A redneck might not be able to tell you the difference between The Iliad and The Odyssey but they'll be the guy fixing your car when you hit the pothole for the 100th time this year.

2. What people think of as "redneck" isn't exclusive to the south whatsoever. I hate to inform any snobs but there are rednecks in all 50 states and every US territory.

3. Redneck doesn't always mean lower-middle class white people. You can classify plenty of African Americans and Hispanics as being part of "redneck culture."

Now that said generally a lot of redneck insults is because they on average vote Republican or Libertarian over left wing parties. People can claim it's for other reasons but I find that mostly bullshit. Urban ghetto culture has a lot of the same issues redneck culture has and yet the left wing on average would never dare mock them. The thing is though historically the left wing had plenty of appeal to rednecks. FDR is one of the most left wing Presidents America ever had and he enjoyed plenty of popularity in the "redneck states." Huey Long was even further left than FDR and was governor of Louisiana and if he wasn't assassinated probably could've won plenty of other "redneck states." If you ignore the segregation part George Wallace was a very left wing guy and had the entire south's support with him. The American left has lost the support of the rednecks because the left has allowed itself to become disconnected with the ordinary guy. The left is now seen as the party of snobby rich elites of NYC and LA and bluntly in many regards they're not wrong. Hate the right wing parties all you want but they've successfully at least convinced rednecks that they care about them while left wing parties just screech "UR A DUMB RACIST LOSER YOU SHOULD DIE ALREADY." Rednecks have no interest in voting for the parties that seem to only cater to gated community stuck up celebrities and whiny college kids.
Princess MeowsePad wrote:
2 weeks ago
It depends on what "rights" they're standing up for. Some of them believe that they're entitled to keep assault weapons in the glove compartment, beat their wives, and burn down abortion clinics. If they're standing up for free speech or something like that, then yes, that's something that is well within reason.
Rednecks aren't the ones abusing the rights to own weapons on average. As far as they're concerned why should they lose their gun rights because some mentally ill Neo Nazi shot some Muslims on the other side of the world. You can agree or disagree with this process but rednecks aren't going to budge from it and I can't entirely blame them. Wife beating isn't exclusive to rednecks and happens in all socio-economic classes, races, subcultures, etc and beyond a tiny amount of extremists you aren't going to find many people defending wife beating. Abortion is obviously a hotter case since most rednecks are religious and most religious groups are against abortion. That said again burning down abortion clinics is rare and most will just for anti-abortion politicians to close them down than resort to arson.

So what is my overall point? Blaming rednecks for all of America's woes is only acceptable because it isn't seen as discriminatory to do so. Replace redneck with African American or Jew and everyone would be screeching bloody murder. The thing is it isn't the fault of rednecks, African Americans, or Jews, it's the fault of special interest groups, SOME wealthy people, and way too many corrupt politicians and bureaucrats. Blaming anyone else is merely divide and conquer tactics the people who are actually causing the problem uses to keep people distracted from reality.

jasony
Reactions:

The Redneck Excuse

slooroo wrote:
2 weeks ago
I should note a few things before I begin.

1. Most rednecks aren't as dumb as television depicts them. They may not have high levels of traditional education but they usually are educated in other ways through family, friends, work, and life experience. A redneck might not be able to tell you the difference between The Iliad and The Odyssey but they'll be the guy fixing your car when you hit the pothole for the 100th time this year.

2. What people think of as "redneck" isn't exclusive to the south whatsoever. I hate to inform any snobs but there are rednecks in all 50 states and every US territory.

3. Redneck doesn't always mean lower-middle class white people. You can classify plenty of African Americans and Hispanics as being part of "redneck culture."

Now that said generally a lot of redneck insults is because they on average vote Republican or Libertarian over left wing parties. People can claim it's for other reasons but I find that mostly bullshit. Urban ghetto culture has a lot of the same issues redneck culture has and yet the left wing on average would never dare mock them. The thing is though historically the left wing had plenty of appeal to rednecks. FDR is one of the most left wing Presidents America ever had and he enjoyed plenty of popularity in the "redneck states." Huey Long was even further left than FDR and was governor of Louisiana and if he wasn't assassinated probably could've won plenty of other "redneck states." If you ignore the segregation part George Wallace was a very left wing guy and had the entire south's support with him. The American left has lost the support of the rednecks because the left has allowed itself to become disconnected with the ordinary guy. The left is now seen as the party of snobby rich elites of NYC and LA and bluntly in many regards they're not wrong. Hate the right wing parties all you want but they've successfully at least convinced rednecks that they care about them while left wing parties just screech "UR A DUMB RACIST LOSER YOU SHOULD DIE ALREADY." Rednecks have no interest in voting for the parties that seem to only cater to gated community stuck up celebrities and whiny college kids.
Princess MeowsePad wrote:
2 weeks ago
Rednecks aren't the ones abusing the rights to own weapons on average. As far as they're concerned why should they lose their gun rights because some mentally ill Neo Nazi shot some Muslims on the other side of the world. You can agree or disagree with this process but rednecks aren't going to budge from it and I can't entirely blame them. Wife beating isn't exclusive to rednecks and happens in all socio-economic classes, races, subcultures, etc and beyond a tiny amount of extremists you aren't going to find many people defending wife beating. Abortion is obviously a hotter case since most rednecks are religious and most religious groups are against abortion. That said again burning down abortion clinics is rare and most will just for anti-abortion politicians to close them down than resort to arson.

So what is my overall point? Blaming rednecks for all of America's woes is only acceptable because it isn't seen as discriminatory to do so. Replace redneck with African American or Jew and everyone would be screeching bloody murder. The thing is it isn't the fault of rednecks, African Americans, or Jews, it's the fault of special interest groups, SOME wealthy people, and way too many corrupt politicians and bureaucrats. Blaming anyone else is merely divide and conquer tactics the people who are actually causing the problem uses to keep people distracted from reality.
I see what ur saying. However, "the common man" is often quite despicable. I mean, southern whites supported FDR - because he was a coward on civil rights. If he had possibly enacted laws based - on what he might have really believed, they would have voted independent or Republican.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

The Redneck Excuse

Post by slooroo » 2 weeks ago

jasony wrote:
2 weeks ago
I see what ur saying. However, "the common man" is often quite despicable. I mean, southern whites supported FDR - because he was a coward on civil rights. If he had possibly enacted laws based - on what he might have really believed, they would have voted independent or Republican.
Well the main question doesn't really seem to be about whether common people are GOOD. The question is why are rednecks insulted for standing by their personal political and religious beliefs. Why I was noting that a lot of it is merely the Democrats and smaller third left wing parties are out of touch with common people or "rednecks" and instead of adjusting their platforms based on this they just constantly insult these people, pushing them to become more and more fiercely loyal to the Republican Party, Libertarian Party, Constitution Party, or worse. Most people aren't going to go "Gee this out of touch politician is right, I really am a toothless stupid racist idiot. I guess I better vote Democrat!"

As for the part about FDR he played realpolitik. The 30s and 40s amidst the Great Depression and World War II wasn't the best time to be trying to push radical civil rights changes. I doubt any Republican candidate would've done more than FDR in that arena and as for independent candidates the only realistic alternatives at the time would've been Huey Long who was assassinated and Douglas MacArthur who would've been far more conservative than FDR on social changes even if he did have interest in running at the time.

jasony
Reactions:

The Redneck Excuse

slooroo wrote:
2 weeks ago
jasony wrote:
2 weeks ago
Well the main question doesn't really seem to be about whether common people are GOOD. The question is why are rednecks insulted for standing by their personal political and religious beliefs. Why I was noting that a lot of it is merely the Democrats and smaller third left wing parties are out of touch with common people or "rednecks" and instead of adjusting their platforms based on this they just constantly insult these people, pushing them to become more and more fiercely loyal to the Republican Party, Libertarian Party, Constitution Party, or worse. Most people aren't going to go "Gee this out of touch politician is right, I really am a toothless stupid racist idiot. I guess I better vote Democrat!"

As for the part about FDR he played realpolitik. The 30s and 40s amidst the Great Depression and World War II wasn't the best time to be trying to push radical civil rights changes. I doubt any Republican candidate would've done more than FDR in that arena and as for independent candidates the only realistic alternatives at the time would've been Huey Long who was assassinated and Douglas MacArthur who would've been far more conservative than FDR on social changes even if he did have interest in running at the time.
Well, Truman was pretty much abandoned by the south after desegregating The Armed Forces.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

The Redneck Excuse

Post by slooroo » 4 days ago

jasony wrote:
2 weeks ago
Well, Truman was pretty much abandoned by the south after desegregating The Armed Forces.
Truman still did mostly fine in the south in 1948 considering the ticket was split. He only lost a part of the Deep South but kept a lot of the vital southern states in terms of electoral votes. He didn't run again after that and probably a good thing since Eisenhower was so popular he basically swept his election.