The Kennedy Dynasty was Fake

[4.0x] Engage in civil discussion about serious, real-life topics.
jasony
Reactions:

Post by jasony » 1 month ago

slooroo wrote:
1 month ago
Princess MeowsePad wrote:
1 month ago
Many of them don't care about the issues and just want a leader who can speak well and looks good.
This is also an important thing to note. To use a modern example I honestly don't think a good percentage of voters care about anything Donald Trump is for or against. They just like that he comes off as extremely cocky and confident and takes command of everything. On the other side of the coin Barack Obama was popular due to being handsome and charismatic even if his actual policies were just a continuation of the Bush Administration.
Yeah, nerds don't make it as leaders - unless it's of other nerds. :-D

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

jasony wrote:
1 month ago
Yeah, nerds don't make it as leaders - unless it's of other nerds.
Well you have to decide how to define "nerd." The modern sense of the word is a relatively new invention but for example while Theodore Roosevelt was a huge extroverted, charismatic man who could beat any of us in a fight he was also a massive history dork and wrote very detailed books on US Naval history.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 9
Argentina

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 1 month ago

slooroo wrote:
1 month ago
On the other side of the coin Barack Obama was popular due to being handsome and charismatic even if his actual policies were just a continuation of the Bush Administration.
I'm glad you pointed this out, because when I point out that Obama's policies were almost entirely the same as Bush's policies, people just tell me that "LOL BUT HE LEGALIZED GAY MARRIAGE" (ignoring that gay marriage probably would have been legalized under a McCain administration as well because it was a Supreme Court decision, not a legislative decision).
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

1 month ago
GAY MARRIAGE
Gay marriage was going to happen regardless. The only people who cared about keeping it banned was the evangelical wing of the Republican Party. Not even corporations cared about the issue.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

slooroo wrote:
1 month ago
1 month ago
GAY MARRIAGE
Gay marriage was going to happen regardless. The only people who cared about keeping it banned was the evangelical wing of the Republican Party. Not even corporations cared about the issue.
Agreed, but people seem to think that Obama was some sort of gay rights messiah even though he didn't officially support it until 2012. My theory is that he used gay marriage as a crumb to throw to liberals in the hope that they wouldn't bolt to Jill Stein since, like you said, the political climate had changed to be less oppositional to gay marriage. He certainly wasn't going to use issues like minimum wages, pensions, or national health care to appeal to liberals. People also, quite absurdly, seemed to use gay marriage and trans rights as a scare tactic to make people vote for Hillary Clinton over third party candidates who represent their views far more accurately. I'm sure that Hillary Clinton, being a stalwart supporter of gay rights since way back in 2013, would have done a ton to advance the cause of LGBTQ+ citizens.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

1 month ago
Agreed, but people seem to think that Obama was some sort of gay rights messiah even though he didn't officially support it until 2012. My theory is that he used gay marriage as a crumb to throw to liberals in the hope that they wouldn't bolt to Jill Stein since, like you said, the political climate had changed to be less oppositional to gay marriage. He certainly wasn't going to use issues like minimum wages, pensions, or national health care to appeal to liberals. People also, quite absurdly, seemed to use gay marriage and trans rights as a scare tactic to make people vote for Hillary Clinton over third party candidates who represent their views far more accurately. I'm sure that Hillary Clinton, being a stalwart supporter of gay rights since way back in 2013, would have done a ton to advance the cause of LGBTQ+ citizens.
I hate social issues mainly because it's easier for both parties to rile people up about than tackle real issues. Scare people into thinking guns or gay marriage will be taken away and you have a zealous Republican/Democrat that ignores both parties are 99% the same bullshit on everything else.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

Agreed. People in the U.S. are ago brainwashed by the corporate media that they actually think that one party is less evil. The sad truth is that both parties want to transfer the wealth from the poor to the rich by any means necessary.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

I'm just waiting for the Democrats to unironically choose Joe Biden then wonder why Donald Trump got another four years.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

slooroo wrote:
1 month ago
I'm just waiting for the Democrats to unironically choose Joe Biden then wonder why Donald Trump got another four years.
The only choice for the Democrats that makes sense is Bernie Sanders. Nobody else will create enough excitement to draw out voters.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

1 month ago
The only choice for the Democrats that makes sense is Bernie Sanders. Nobody else will create enough excitement to draw out voters.
Sanders should try to talk the other progressive candidates like Warren, Yang, and Gabbard into a coalition with him but that won't happen. It's the only way though I can see the progressive wing snatching the nomination from Biden. Even that doesn't guarantee anything when during 2016 the Democrats essentially said Hillary would be the nominee regardless if she won the primaries or not.