Should Health Insurance Be Free for All Americans?

[4.0x] Engage in civil discussion about serious, real-life topics.
Ravenfreak
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Ravenfreak » 1 month ago

I just got to thinking about the healthcare system here in the US, and I'm surprised a topic hasn't been created yet. Anyways I am a firm believer that everyone should have access to free health insurance, because everyone deserves to have access to doctors and hospital care if they desperately need it. I would gladly pay just a little more in taxes to help those who need health insurance if it came down to it. It's ridiculous that the US still hasn't provided free health insurance to all citizens, regardless of medical history.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

I really dislike the term "free healthcare" because Republicans are correct in that it's not free. Universal healthcare is paid for through taxes. That said studies have long proven that universal healthcare is cheaper for every American than buying health insurance. While there would down sides like wait times for non-emergencies that's far superior to people having nothing. Also even if a person doesn't have health insurance the law requires doctors to at least keep them from dying. When this happens who do you think foots the bill? The people with insurance. Plus a population who aren't bogged down in medical illnesses and debt are more likely to be able to become productive citizens in the workforce helping pay for said universal healthcare. Not to mention everyone will be able to keep some money in their pockets since the taxes would be cheaper than health insurance bills. Now that said a theoretical US universal healthcare system should only be for US citizens to avoid issues Britain was having where people from other countries put stress on the system by forcing the UK to pay for their pregnancies and expensive surgeries.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 9
Argentina

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 1 month ago

Slooroo made most of the points that I would have. Aside from being cheaper, more efficient, and similar or higher in quality (according to case studies of countries that have transitioned to universal health care), universal health care is just the more humane option. Private health insurance companies are more than happy to collect your monthly payment, but when it comes time to pay out for your care, they always seem to find some reason that they cannot cover part of your medical bills (or, in the worst possible cirumstances, any of it). The Affordable Care Act was a step in the wrong direction. The answer is not to send more customers to private health insurance companies with subsidies from the government; the answer is to provide an option that does not involve corporations at all.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

The ACA was a total nightmare. I'll give the benefit of the doubt that Obama had good intentions but it turned a horrible beast into an even scarier one by the time negotiations were done.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

slooroo wrote:
1 month ago
The ACA was a total nightmare. I'll give the benefit of the doubt that Obama had good intentions but it turned a horrible beast into an even scarier one by the time negotiations were done.
The Democrats receive a ton of corporate donations from health insurance companies. Good intentions do not seem likely.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Princess MeowsePad wrote:
1 month ago
The Democrats receive a ton of corporate donations from health insurance companies. Good intentions do not seem likely.
Both parties are bribed to hell and back but considering how ridiculous of a process the back and forth on the ACA was I imagine there had to be good intentions somewhere in that behemoth that was snipped out. Not like anyone rational from the left or right was listened to about the issues of a bill so large not a single person who voted on it had read it cover to cover by the time to vote.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

slooroo wrote:
1 month ago
1 month ago
Both parties are bribed to hell and back but considering how ridiculous of a process the back and forth on the ACA was I imagine there had to be good intentions somewhere in that behemoth that was snipped out. Not like anyone rational from the left or right was listened to about the issues of a bill so large not a single person who voted on it had read it cover to cover by the time to vote.
The only people who liked the ACA were the Obama sheeple who would have supported him if he opened up concentration camps because he has a D behind his name.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

1 month ago
The only people who liked the ACA were the Obama sheeple who would have supported him if he opened up concentration camps because he has a D behind his name.
Really the funny thing about health care is if we HAD to stick to private insurance Ron and Rand Paul showed how you could make it cheaper and more effective and still appease the turbo capitalists. Unsurprisingly no one listened.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

As much as the Republicrats hate left-wingers, they hate Ron and Rand just as much if not more. While I disagree with Ron and Rand on many issues, they are examples of rational, tolerable conservatives who are guided by principle rather than self-interest.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

1 month ago
As much as the Republicrats hate left-wingers, they hate Ron and Rand just as much if not more. While I disagree with Ron and Rand on many issues, they are examples of rational, tolerable conservatives who are guided by principle rather than self-interest.
I'm not libertarian anymore but I'll usually throw my support behind libertarian candidates purely because they make me want to puke less than neocons or American liberals.