Don't see this

[1.0x] Invade the privacy of others, or start your own to have your privacy invaded.
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Don't see this

Post by slooroo » 3 weeks ago

Juneberry wrote:
3 weeks ago
What was your favorite religion to learn about?
In college the focus was Judaism mostly. Just how the cookie crumbled. My favorite professor was from Israel and taught several Judaism classes and I was one of his favorites at the time. In my personal time I've studied a bunch. I personally find Christianity, Hinduism, and Buddhism the most interesting of the big five. I also find Confucianism, Daoism, and Shinto fairly interesting. Not that I dislike studying any religion.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Don't see this

Post by Juneberry » 3 weeks ago

What made you interested in religion?

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Don't see this

Juneberry wrote:
3 weeks ago
What made you interested in religion?
I wasn't always. As a kid I grew up Baptist but I didn't think much beyond religion other than my mom took me on Sundays. I never got along that well with the other kids at church or anything so it was just a routine I had to go through. When I became a teenager I considered rejecting Christianity and that's when I began studying other religions as well as studying Christianity itself to understand them all better. For random tales I had a long series of emails with Scientology. I talked to Mormon missionaries. I talked to Islamic imams. I "borrowed" a book of Norse myths from the library. When I became an adult I tried many different churches to see the different varieties of Christianity for myself. I have a pretty decent understanding of most religions but I continue to study and learn because I see learning as an endless process.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Don't see this

I've been to a hindu temple before. I'd like to go to a lot of other kinds of places of worship myself, but that'll wait.

How did you end up emailing someone from scientology? o.o;

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Don't see this

Juneberry wrote:
3 weeks ago
hindu temple
I considered going to one but it was far from my apartment and I wasn't sure if any of it would be in English and if I'd gain anything from it. I did live close to Buddhist temples that used some English but college ate up a lot of my time so I never got the chance. Why I never got to attend any Islamic services because I had classes on Friday or needed sleep due to work.
Juneberry wrote:
3 weeks ago
How did you end up emailing someone from scientology?
They have an email address on their website. I mostly talked to them about reincarnation and religious music at the time. Eventually they stopped talking to me, likely realizing I didn't live near a Scientology center.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Don't see this

When I went to the hindu temple, it was as a guest of a friend who was going for a holiday. The people were all very kind and I even got to help prep some of the food for the holiday (breaking pea pods apart).

What religion do you want to learn about more next?

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Don't see this

Juneberry wrote:
3 weeks ago
What religion do you want to learn about more next?
In terms of reading I'm mostly reading Christian and Buddhist texts lately though I should read the Bhagavad Gita and Quran soon. In terms of physically visiting anything I doubt I'd do that due to distance and worn out vehicle.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Don't see this

I was mostly curious about your reading anyway. Do you have a copy of the Quran ready to read?

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Don't see this

Juneberry wrote:
3 weeks ago
Do you have a copy of the Quran ready to read?
Several copies, yes. Various translations. I have a shelf dedicated just to religious books.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Don't see this

How many shelves does your bookcase have?