Food Allergies?

[1.0x] Discuss everything about food--eating, cooking, restaurants, recipes, et cetera!
Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Food Allergies?

Post by Juneberry » 3 months ago

I'm curious how many of our members might have food allergies. I''m personally allergic to something most people are shocked by: watermelon. It doesn't affect my daily life much, of course, but it helps me recognize just how bad it must be to be my father, who is notably allergic to corn and all corn products. It makes shopping very hard, because we can't just look for the word corn. We have to look for any form of unlabeled modified starch, dextrose, and other things that corn can be used in, but not always mentioned about. If we're not careful, he ends up with hives and a psoriatic arthritis/psoriasis flare up that drives him insane.

Do you guys or someone you love have any form of allergy to a food? How does it affect your shopping habits, your health, etc?

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Food Allergies?

Post by slooroo » 3 months ago

I've never been allergic to food but I was allergic for a time to certain types of cleaning products. I had a friend in middle school who is severely allergic to peanuts and during a school trip to Florida a restaurant failed to note possible peanut contamination. He got deathly sick and the next day I volunteered to stay with him at the hotel while everyone else went to an island.

Yushe
Reactions:
Niger

Food Allergies?

Post by Yushe » 3 months ago

No food allergies that I know of but my skin gets really sensitive and itchy if my clothes are washed in certain products.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Food Allergies?

slooroo wrote:
3 months ago
I've never been allergic to food but I was allergic for a time to certain types of cleaning products. I had a friend in middle school who is severely allergic to peanuts and during a school trip to Florida a restaurant failed to note possible peanut contamination. He got deathly sick and the next day I volunteered to stay with him at the hotel while everyone else went to an island.
I've seen that happen before! I had a berry yogurt with my lunch and my friend had never mentioned being allergic to anything, let alone the kind of berries my yogurt had. Just being too close to me that she could smell it sent her to the hospital ><

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Food Allergies?

Post by slooroo » 3 months ago

Juneberry wrote:
3 months ago
I've seen that happen before! I had a berry yogurt with my lunch and my friend had never mentioned being allergic to anything, let alone the kind of berries my yogurt had. Just being too close to me that she could smell it sent her to the hospital ><
Yeah food allergies are no joke. The bus driver had to rush him to the hospital and the rest of us walked a couple miles down the road in Panama City before a teacher remembered my parents were there with a truck.

Megan
Ferret Queen
Reactions:

Food Allergies?

Post by Megan » 3 months ago

Me personally none that I know of.

My brother was allergic to corn and peanuts.

My mom's allergic to peanuts and eggs. Eggs is such a pain cause literally everything has it. Loads she can't eat.

Ravenfreak
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Food Allergies?

Post by Ravenfreak » 3 months ago

I honestly don't know what I'm allergic to. I've never had a allergic reaction to anything. My girlfriend is allergic to any type of seafood, bananas, and ginger.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Food Allergies?

It's possible you don't have any allergies then? But omg that's quite a unique list. Well, I've heard seafood plenty, but bananas and ginger... I haven't heard those, but it's probably a pain to work around sometimes. I wish her the best!

Lammchen
Reactions:
United States of America

Food Allergies?

Post by Lammchen » 2 months ago

I'm allergic to chocolate :( I need a pity party!

I'm also allergic to tea and I tried it again this summer as iced tea and thought I was doing well until I woke up wheezing and couldn't breathe. No more tea for me.

I used to be allergic to pumpkin. I have the weirdest variety don't I? But at least the pumpkin allergy went away. Yay! Eat all the pumpkin everything!

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Food Allergies?

Post by slooroo » 2 months ago

Lammchen wrote:
2 months ago
I'm also allergic to tea
If I was allergic to tea I would die.