The longest MeowseThread

[0.0x] A nyan is a nyan; you can't say it's only a nya.
Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: The longest MeowseThread

Post by Juneberry » 4 weeks ago

The rules with Judaism are weird, too. You're only considered Jewish if your mother is Jewish, but you get your rank in the hierarchy from your father (which is part of why women take the man's name, methinks. It's often the name's meaning.)

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 4 weeks ago

Hence partly why it's considered an ethnoreligion. Fairly I don't subscribe to the belief that "Judaism was here first!!!!11" but rather that there was the ancient Israelite religion then said religion broke into many splinters like Judaism and it's offshoots, Christianity and it's offshoots, and of course Islam and it's offshoots that are an offshoot of Christianity. Personally the destruction of the temple played a major role in that. The old order fell and new orders took it's place. Not that this is particularly odd. Many religions work similarly.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Juneberry » 4 weeks ago

That's certainly true! I used this fact to create numerous sects, at least, in the religions in my writing.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 3 weeks ago

Buddhism broke off from Hinduism due to the Buddha wanting to take the teachings of Hinduism and refine it to the necessary parts without the hindrances of Hinduism. Zoroastrianism formed out of the old Persian pagan beliefs until it became the major religion. Sikhism was a religion formed out of the tensions of Hindus and Muslims becoming neighbors. Obviously I could keep going. Religion is one of my knowledge expertise. I haven't officially joined anything yet though.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Juneberry » 3 weeks ago

What made you so knowledgeable about this stuff? I'm curious~

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

I'd say my first thought about religion was when I was about 13. I asked my Sunday School teacher why they were Baptists and not Methodists or Catholic or something. Besides anti-papacy rants I don't remember their answer beyond finding it unsatisfactory. So I began studying different faiths and at times I became close to be convinced in some until further study made me shake my head and realize nah. If I was going to join something today it would probably be Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, or Buddhism.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

I annoyed my teachers in Hebrew school by asking who created god. They gave me a paradox as an answer. It was very not useful.

Spook of the lost
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Spook of the lost » 3 weeks ago

What sort of paradox?

I've read about and studied many belief systems so I'm always curious about perspectives from both inside and out.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Judaism is an interesting religion but I think you gain more out of it if you were born into it than if you convert. Weirdly why I didn't feel particularly convinced about it.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

I think you gain more from it depending on which sect you're from. I sect, but I just can't think of the best word for it. There's Orthodox, Conservative and Reformed. There's also a hierarchy in Judaism based on your father's surname. My last name literally means "second rank levite".