Cultural Appropriation

[4.0x] Engage in civil discussion about serious, real-life topics.
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Cultural Appropriation

Post by slooroo » 2 months ago

"Cultural appropriation, at times also phrased cultural misappropriation, is the adoption of elements of one culture by members of another culture."

So this is a topic that gets discussed occasionally in social justice circles I find absolutely asinine. There's a famous tumblr post linked around where a person is angry about white people eating Thai food saying "That's not your food you can't eat that!" Another was angry about a museum having kimonos for people to try on saying that only Japanese people can wear kimonos when said kimonos were provided by the Japanese government for the express purpose as an educational resource to teach other people about their culture. I think these types fail to understand how humanity works. Every culture has their own unique culture and those cultures have subcultures and so on. No, you shouldn't be an asshole of any variety in order to oppress, insult, mock, etc another person's culture. That said humanity has always built upon itself through shared ideas between different cultures. The Egyptians worked off the ideas of the Mesopotamian. Greeks worked off the ideas of the Egyptians. Romans worked off the ideas of the Greeks. Pretty much every group from England to Japan and everything in between has worked off the ideas of Rome. Mexican food is heavily influenced by native cuisine and Spanish cuisine. Legendary Japanese author Yukio Mishima was influenced by western thinkers like Dostoevsky and Nietzsche. In the United States country music is influenced from folk and southern gospel. Rock n roll took influences from ideas in black and white culture. I can keep this going forever but humanity makes innovations and progressions based off the ideas of their own culture and new ideas they're exposed to by other cultures. This is not a bad thing. This is how humanity grows. This is also how one group builds bridges with other cultures to create mutual understanding and fight off the very things social justice groups care about like racism, sexism, homophobia, and so on. So why exactly would you say "No you're not allowed to go in that Thai restaurant and eat Thai food" when that person can enjoy the food ideas of a different culture and the likely Thai owners of that restaurant can make money to provide for their families and also share their own heritage with others? It's a bizarre idea from a group that says they wish to combat what divides us by...dividing us more?

Kaunisto
Cutie
Reactions:
Finland

Cultural Appropriation

Post by Kaunisto » 2 months ago

While I tend to be sympathetic to many social justice issues (when not taken to a ridiculous extreme), I rarely agree with claims of cultural appropriation.
I get it that when something highly respected is turned into business in a way that mocks it, that's not acceptable. But everyday items, food and customs, even when unique to a certain culture, are free for all to copy.
And I feel that when elements are adopted to other cultures and contexts, even if considerably changed, they spread and keep alive the original culture.
Cultures - same as languages - must be allowed to develop and evolve, despite it sometimes means foreign influences eventually become dominant in one. If we define cultural concept to certain form and use, we turn it into a museum item, a dead part of culture.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 9
Argentina

Cultural Appropriation

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 2 months ago

That's not your English! Only English people can speak it!

I had actually never really heard of people being upset by this unironically before. We'd still be in the dark ages if cultures didn't borrow ideas from other cultures.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Cultural Appropriation

Kaunisto wrote:
2 months ago
we turn it into a museum item
This part I agree with 100%. It almost seems to me like these types want cultures, especially non-European cultures, to be put on special museum pedestals no one is allowed to touch. It's hilariously racist in it's own regard which I'm sure fails to dawn on them.
Princess MeowsePad wrote:
2 months ago
I had actually never really heard of people being upset by this unironically before. We'd still be in the dark ages if cultures didn't borrow ideas from other cultures.
You'd be surprised how often it comes up on the internet. My favorite is when they act offended over say a kimono being at a museum when they're not Japanese themselves and actual Japanese people don't care. It creates this "Let me be offended for you!" form of racism.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

Cultural Appropriation

It's odd that people feel the need to create reasons to be offended when they wouldn't have to look very hard to find actual reasons to be offended. No need to re-invent the wheel.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Cultural Appropriation

Princess MeowsePad wrote:
2 months ago
It's odd that people feel the need to create reasons to be offended when they wouldn't have to look very hard to find actual reasons to be offended. No need to re-invent the wheel.
I think it's low effort is why. It's easier to rage at white people for buying ramen at Walmart than criticize the government for stomping all over the rights of Native Americans to drill more oil.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Argentina

Cultural Appropriation

You're not wrong. Most of them are middle class college students whose parents are paying for their education as well. Only financially stable people have time for microcauses.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Cultural Appropriation

Middle class college students also aren't usually exposed to other cultures but the blandest of white suburbia. When I went to college I was amazed at how many students there were who was baffled at seeing African Americans up close. Meanwhile I went to 50% black schools my entire life.

jasony
Reactions:

Cultural Appropriation

Post by jasony » 2 months ago

Nationalist A-holes are leading the charge on most of this. For instance, all the Asian nationalist sites - which oddly enough are as racist as the white ones - where they continually bitch about "white-washed" Asians.

Anyway, I'm all for real "freedom of association" - but some cultural exposure isn't stoppable. For instance, if white guys like rap - have at it. If they don't - don't like it. Anyway, some say the rise in racism in the past, before Obama - was a reaction to the fact "black was cool" for the first time in US history.

Anyway, again, overseas, you get a lot of nationalist A-holes from Europe - in Asia. They teach English or whatever. So they constantly bash America - and it's "one world agenda" at every chance :shocked: - believing the Asians are cheering them on.
slooroo wrote:
2 months ago
Middle class college students also aren't usually exposed to other cultures but the blandest of white suburbia. When I went to college I was amazed at how many students there were who was baffled at seeing African Americans up close. Meanwhile I went to 50% black schools my entire life.
Highly homogeneous schools have kids mean to mixed raced kids, other races, intolerant to other cultures. My own school was white - full of racist BS - and also I had a sibling bullied in an all-black school.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Cultural Appropriation

jasony wrote:
2 months ago
Nationalist A-holes are leading the charge on most of this. For instance, all the Asian nationalist sites - which oddly enough are as racist as the white ones - where they continually bitch about "white-washed" Asians.
Well yes and no. Asia is pretty xenophobic in general. Famous Japanese author Haruki Murakami constantly suffers criticisms in Japan for his works not being "Japanese enough" due to Murakami preferring western literature and taking heavy influence from it for his own. Even white nationalists humorously aren't as xenophobic on average as Asia. White nationalists do seem to pick and choose what non-whites they enjoy.
jasony wrote:
2 months ago
Highly homogeneous schools have kids mean to mixed raced kids, other races, intolerant to other cultures. My own school was white - full of racist BS - and also I had a sibling bullied in an all-black school.
Racism is anywhere. I wouldn't necessarily say a lot of kids from suburbia are so much intentionally racist as they are ignorant about other cultures and fear it if it's outside of a sanitized Mexican restaurant. Which thinking about it is probably why this cultural appropriation shit exists. These tumblr kids only experience a culture besides their own in a controlled environment like when mommy decides it's a nice weekend for Chinese food.