Good ideas in not so good games

[2.0x] Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 2 months ago

So this topic has been rolling around in my head for a couple days and it's one I like debating with myself about. Often times games that were only meh or worse than meh had cool ideas. I like trying to figure out what I liked and why the devs didn't make it work the way I hoped.

So one great example of this for me is Bioshock Infinite. I absolutely loved the concept of Columbia and the creation of a cult centered around Americanism with a Mormonism inspired modern day prophet. I loved that the cult had this fascinating system that valued Comstock as their prophet and saw the Founding Fathers as saints that symbolize different aspects. I even found the racism interesting and how John Wilkes Booth is considered a saint while Lincoln was depicted as demonic. Columbia itself was a really cool place in terms of design and it was a nice breath of fresh air from Rapture from 1 and 2 while still feeling uniquely Bioshock. Even the time travel stuff if done differently could've been interesting. The problem though is the game's story just ends up becoming total nonsense and what few good parts of the story like the rebels being no better than Comstock ends up ruined by the DLC that only makes the story even worse than it already was. I also didn't like that Bioshock Infinite was very linear and for whatever reason the chance to explore like 1 and 2 was removed. The cult itself too wasn't very well developed and I would've liked to have seen more in the game that expands on how the cult works, their beliefs, and so on. The combat though was fine as far as I'm concerned.

Going off that I had similar issues with Far Cry 5. I loved the concept of Eden's Gate and that Ubisoft went out of the way to hire an expert on cults to help them design a cult for the game. Joseph Seed was this perfect balance between insane and just sane enough to where you can agree with him. I liked their apocalyptic mindset and Waco-esque vibes hanging out in rural Montana waiting for nuclear disaster. Ubisoft even did an amazing job building a lot of hype with cool trailers, a novel, and even a fucking movie. Sadly though the game itself was only serviceable and while not a bad game it could've been way better and again the cult wasn't as fleshed out as I would've liked. I guess at least running around Hope County and goofing off was more possible than what Bioshock Infinite offered. Again though the actual combat and gunplay was good to me.

Going off my cult love I also want to mention Pokemon X and Y. The game isn't bad whatsoever. None of the mainline Pokemon games are BAD. That said the story to XY is a fucking mess. Game Freak attempts this weird "Who's the leader of Team Flare???" bit when it's blatantly obvious who it is two minutes into the game. Team Flare in general I liked that there was this funny apocalyptic meets a bit of a scam thing going on but Team Flare is rushed so badly and because it's not paced very well it seems like Flare comes and goes so fast I ended up thinking "Wait that's it?" Also XY lags but that wasn't remotely shocking to me. If Sword/Shield doesn't lag when it comes out I'll be shocked.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

So I was watching Mutahar play a Chinese knockoff Pokemon phone game and it made me realize that why in the ever living hell isn't there a normal Pokemon game for phones yet? It's such a simple but effective idea. Hell the Chinese knockoff one would probably be fun if it wasn't for the horrible voice acting and the zillion crypto miners it probably slips on your phone.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 9
Argentina

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 1 month ago

Look up APB Reloaded if you want a good idea with horrible execution. It's a truly open-world third person shooter with a "cops and robbers" kind of theme, essentially everything that GTA Online should have been, but it was doomed by an unrealistic deadline from Electronic Arts and ended up being released generously half-finished. It has now been purchased by two other companies (and its current owner is so prosperous and successful that the company doesn't even have a Wikipedia page), and the abysmally bad optimization and laundry list of other bugs have not been addressed even nearly a decade later.
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Re: Good ideas in not so good games

I never played APB but it did look interesting at one point to my memory.

Continuing off this mindset I have to mention Halo 4. Now Halo 4 isn't a bad game whatsoever in terms of actual gameplay. The problem I find is that Halo 4 is guilty of something a game should never do. Halo 4 had books you were supposed to read beforehand to be knowledgeable on the story Halo 4 is going to tell. Why in the world did 343 think this was a good idea? It's one thing to expect fans to play the games before it. I can understand that. Making fans need to read entire books though is rather ridiculous when some thought Halo was over anyway when Bungie left it behind so they could become slaves to Activision to make Destiny. Games based on books isn't uncommon at all, especially when it comes to European devs. STALKER, Metro, and The Witcher are three examples of books turned into games. The thing is however you don't NEED to read those books to understand the games. If anything the games should make you want to read the books much like the earlier Halo games made you want to read the Halo books.

Princess MeowsePad
Administrator
Reactions:
Referrals: 9
Argentina

Post by Princess MeowsePad » 1 month ago

I didn't even know Halo was based on books. o_O
MeowsePad Community: nostalgia, gaming, friendship, advertisement, and more!

Forum ~ Discord ~ YouTube ~ Twitch

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Princess MeowsePad wrote:
1 month ago
I didn't even know Halo was based on books. o_O
The original game isn't. Halo 4 started a new chapter in the franchise and 343 was working off a storyline started in books. Which was a terrible idea because most people aren't going to have read the books.