Book/Author Thread

[1.0x] Discuss or share music, movies, television shows, or videos.
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

Post by slooroo » 1 month ago

Finished The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It was okay but probably overrated. There is beauty in the book but I think it gets choked by Coelho's preachy New Agey beliefs. I feel like he wanted to make his own Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse but didn't do as good a job. It's still alright though. If it was longer though I probably would've disliked it. It's kinda too long as is already because he tends to repeat the points of the book constantly.

Next up is The Colorado Kid by Stephen King. The master of horror actually wrote a mystery novel and this is it. I figured it'd be a nice little break before I read more serious works and it's pretty short.

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Book/Author Thread

Post by Juneberry » 1 month ago

Started reading more today. I started reading Satsuriku no Tenshi written by Makoto Sanada and illustrated by Kudan Nazuka. It's a horror manga that's gotten so much acclaim someone made a game out of it. The name in Japanese, by the by, is Angels of Slaughter, from what I'm aware.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Re: Book/Author Thread

Juneberry wrote:
1 month ago
Started reading more today. I started reading Satsuriku no Tenshi written by Makoto Sanada and illustrated by Kudan Nazuka. It's a horror manga that's gotten so much acclaim someone made a game out of it. The name in Japanese, by the by, is Angels of Slaughter, from what I'm aware.
Can't say I'm familiar with that one but I never got huge into horror manga in general.

Just finished The Colorado Kid by Stephen King. It was basically King wanting to make the point that the mystery is more interesting than the answers which is why The Colorado Kid lacks any. It's okay I guess but I don't think it's King's best by any means. I wouldn't have paid the full six dollars for this book. It's an okay read for airplane rides or an afternoon with nothing to do though I guess. I didn't hate it but I can't really praise it that much either.

Next up is The Stranger by Albert Camus. I've heard a lot of great things about this book so I'm really curious to read it plus it's one of the book of the month choices on pewdiepie's subreddit right now. Camus is generally considered to be an amazing guy so I'm eager to see what I think.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Finished The Stranger by Albert Camus last night. Pretty good even if I don't entirely agree with Camus's philosophy. I do think considering how short it is and the message it has though it's definitely a must read.

Next is Naomi by Junichiro Tanizaki, another famous Japanese author. I like the sound of this book from the back of it so I'm curious to see what I think.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Finished Naomi by Junichiro Tanizaki. This was a really good book and I think you can see this work in many ways depending on whether to want to see it as literal or as symbolic. It's fun to see the many potential interpretations and I don't think any would be entirely wrong considering the final words the protagonist leaves us with.

Next is The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel. Strobel is a former atheist and journalist who decided to see if there is an evidence for a historical Jesus and if he could've been what the New Testament claims. I saw it on a recommended Christian reading list and since I saw it at Goodwill today I thought why the hell not. My only concern before starting is Strobel seems to favor Nondenominational Christianity with a bit of Baptist and Presbyterian on the side so I am concerned if Strobel's conclusions favor those forms of Christianity and if his atheist to Christian conversion makes his investigation biased.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 3 weeks ago

Finished The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel. Information wise it was okay. I do think the information proves that the idea of the Biblical narrative isn't necessarily absurd from the viewpoint of various fields like science, psychology, medical, and so on. That said I don't think Strobel is the greatest presenter of this information. Also his role is to play the devil's advocate and argue with his interviewees but I find Strobel often easily gives up to make his interviewees look smarter. It's worth reading but maybe only if you have some Bible knowledge before hand.

Next up I decided I wanted to re-read Beowulf. It's been many years and I'm fond of mythology. I also fin the Beowulf story itself to be really interesting.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 3 weeks ago

And finished Beowulf. The fascinating thing about Beowulf to me is the narrator's struggle between the ideals of their pagan past and Christian present. I think Beowulf was a text trying to come to terms with it. I am curious if Beowulf is actually a much older story and if there was once a purely pagan one without any Christianity in it but at the same time would it be as memorable without it. Hard to say.

Next will be Battlefield Earth by L Ron Hubbard. Really long and has mixed reviews but I want to see what Hubbard's "magnum opus" is like.