Book/Author Thread

[1.0x] Discuss or share music, movies, television shows, or videos.
slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Re: Book/Author Thread

Post by slooroo » 2 weeks ago

Finished Notes From Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. This book is really short but the first half is harder than the second. The first half is the Underground Man trying to justify his total isolation from the rest of the world and his inability to make choices. This leads into his issue with major schools of philosophy of the time in Russia such as nihilism, rational egoism, and utopias. The second half is the Underground Man telling stories from a period of his life that relates back to points from the first half. It's definitely good but I do recommend reading Crime and Punishment before or after it because Dostoyevsky wrote Notes From Underground first and kept expanding on his points from book to book until his final work The Brothers Karamazov which I haven't read yet. Notes From Underground however is considered possibly the first novel in the field of existentialism, a philosophy I have sympathies to.

Next is The Abolition of Man by CS Lewis

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Post by Juneberry » 1 week ago

I won a signed copy of a NaNoWriMo focused novel called Nanecdotes: Confessions Of A Thirty-Day Novelist. It's by a fellow NaNoWriMo author, Joseph R. Kennedy, and it's insanely funny to my dad and I as writers.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 1 week ago

I finished The Abolition of Man by CS Lewis awhile back and forgot to post! Essentially Lewis criticizes people who believe there are no universal values and that all things are subjective. He then talks about the dystopic possibilities of a small few controlling man's morals and how we could regress into mere animals from it. Rough explanation I know but it's a dense book.

Now I'm reading South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami which I should be done with today or tomorrow.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 1 week ago

Finished South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami. Essentially what I took from it is the dangers of obsession with the past and the inability to connect with other people.

Next up is The Everlasting Man by GK Chesterton