Computer tidiness

DanTheMan
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Computer tidiness

Post by DanTheMan » 3 days ago

I know some folks have a tendency to really let the organization on their computers get very very messy. What does your computer's file system look like for your files and folders?

Juneberry
Administrator
Reactions:
United States of America

Re: Computer tidiness

Post by Juneberry » 3 days ago

I have a greatly organized desktop, but my file system itself is pretty messy. I have a general method of organizing things, it's just... I often forget to move things from downloads into their rightful places, and some need new homes too.

nate9000
Cutie
Reactions:
Mood:
Great Britain

Re: Computer tidiness

Post by nate9000 » 1 day ago

I stopped using desktop icons like 10 years ago; first thing I do when setting up my OS (be it windows or linux) is hide the desktop icons. I also reinstall my OS and reformat the drive usually twice a year. I keep important things on sd cards, external drives, and dvds (dvd's for the data I need to stand the test of time) and I organize my data in directories that make sense to me categorized appropriately (important, documents, music, movies, tv, anime, podcasts, videos, photos, images, gifs, sound, games, saved webpages, webdev, phone backups, downloads, torrents, Misc. and moe pics (just to name a few))

What's messy: I'm a weeb so I download over 9Trillion pics of cute anime characters. I always make a valid attempt at organizing them but one way or another they just explode and all of my data just has anime pics sprinkled that seems to obay the laws of equilibrium...

Most of my files usually reside in the downloads folder untill I get around to organizing them, when there gets to be too many instead of combing through them I move them all to one of my Misc. folders (I havelike 20+ Misc. files named "Misc000" through "Misc020". Seeking through these folders is like looking into a little time machine of what I was doing and looking at around that time. It's all messy but it's contained and hidden away.

My browser Is Opera, So that's all easy, all my browser stuff is synchronized between all my computers regardless of OS.

As for my computer's Drive structure I have multiple hard drives all 1TB or larger and one 64GB solid state drive. The SSD is for Windows, then the other larger drives are for Linux, windows software, and personal files (each has it's own drive)

Usually my MBR (I don't have a UEFI motherboard) Is broken so I usually just tap F11 at boot and use my motherboards built in drive selector and select the correct boot drive... BUT right now it all seems to be working for some reason? I didn't fix it but my GRUB boot loader loads and asks me if I wanna do linux or windows. I've neglected the linux drive on my desktop but my linux laptop is in fine condition.

Windows is CRAMMED into a tiny 64GB's SSD of compromise... I install the most important things on the SSD but 95% of my software is installed on a second NTFS drive

I'm in a constant battle between wanting to leave Windows forever and wanting to play my favorite PC games... usually half the year I'm trying my best to go full Linux and use WINE and VMs to aid me. and the other half is me giving up and rebooting into windows for the other half of the year...