Just Some Advice when trading in consoles

[2.0x] Whether you're a newb, a pro, or somewhere in between, come tell us all about your favorite games and how you love to play them.
Ravenfreak
Content Creator
Reactions:
United States of America

Just Some Advice when trading in consoles

Post by Ravenfreak » 2 weeks ago

I suck at titles so forgive me for the long one. Anyway I bought a Switch Lite last weekend and logged into my account in the eshop to see how much Untitled Goose Game was and noticed that someone had been using my account to buy games. Now thankfully I had a old expired card on the account so the person used their own card to buy a few games but unfortunately for them they were purchased under my account and now they need to make a new one and rebuy the games they bought. You may be wondering how this happened. Back early this year I sold my original Switch to a local game store since I didn’t have a job at the time and I needed money. I forgot to reset the console to factory settings and deactivate the Switch as my primary one. I assumed that the employees would reset the console, because that’s their job to do so. Well they didn’t and the new owner kept using my account... Now I’m logged out of the old Switch so the guy using it will need to make his own account. So word of advice when trading in old consoles, factory reset them before giving them away!

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Re: Just Some Advice when trading in consoles

Post by slooroo » 2 weeks ago

I bought a Wii from Goodwill but nothing too exciting on it. I think it was a kid's console since I spent hours cleaning it and removing the gross strap for a new one and I factory reset the console.

Spook of the lost
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Spook of the lost » 2 weeks ago

I've always factory reset consoles when I get them, mostly because I usually get them in a non working state and repair them so users don't get the chance to remove/delete data.
it's how I've done things since I realized that it's usually easy and cheaper to fix things than to buy something new.

same with cleaning, I usually do a thorough tear down and cleaning in the process.

I do agree about resetting a console before passing it on though.
cleaning them up too, mostly because as both of you stated, controllers can be disgusting used if not cleaned first, and most people use something as is without resetting it first as if it were new.

It's like buying a used keyboard, more often then not depending on the previous owners habits you can find all sorts of skin cells, food crumbs, and enough yuck to make you want to bag it.

slooroo
The Worst Poster
Reactions:
Mood:
United States of America

Post by slooroo » 2 weeks ago

I bought a used SNES but it was pretty well taken care of beyond some minor cleaning. No need to factory reset that either.